Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:08 PM   #1

I got a used Pentax K20d from Shutterblade last month off Ebay, and I'm approaching the 30-days from purchase limit. I wanted to get an extended warranty from Pentax, but they just advised me no-can-do since I bought it used and their warranty's non-transferrable. I've googled both Squaretrade & Mack and I'm finding equal amounts of bad & good with both. This being the internet, I tend to believe the bad over the good. The Squaretrade warranty is 1 year for $106, but they say they'll pay back the purchase price if the camera can't be fixed. The Mack warranty is 5 years for $125 or so, but it doesn't look like they'll do anything besides repair (and re-repair) the item. I've checked with my auto/home insurer, but while they're willing to cover the camera against loss/theft/catastrophic damage, they won't help if there's a mechanical failure. I need to make up my mind in the next 2 days or so. Can someone with experience with either Squaretrade or Mack advise? Thanks in advance.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:25 PM   #2

You got a used Pentax K20D at a good discount (I suspect.) It can't be older than 4-5 months. If you did your part in putting the camera through it's paces, and haven't uncovered any potential problems, I'd consider myself lucky. Even if the manufacturer's warranty were transferrable, it would only last another 6-7 months anyway. I'd save my money and keep my fingers crossed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:07 PM   #3

About $900 shipped, in mint condition. Couldn't get the rebate, as the UPC code was already cut out, but I was still okay with that. I've taken about 300 shots checking various settings and such and so far haven't noted anything odd. I'm operating under the assumption that since it hasn't screwed up in the 20-someodd days I've gotten it, it's not likely to do so barring a traumatic event (like if I have to use it to fight off a bear, fer instance). At this point, I'm leaning towards "none of the above" and taking my chances. Still have a day to make up my mind.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:15 PM   #4

If I had to use my used ~$900 Pentax K20D to fight off a bear, and lived to tell the tale, I'd consider it money well spent.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote