Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 5, 2003, 2:50 PM   #1

Default Sunset sun - color

Last week I was in Taos, NM and using my Olympus C750uz, I took pictures of the amazing colorful sunset.

The sky, etc were right on in color, but the sun turned out white in the photos - it should have been brilliant orange.

I tried and used various white balance settings, did not use the auto setting and even used a polarizer - the sun in the photos were always white.

I did notice that there was a vertical glare that I saw, it looked like there was too much glare for the camera to handle.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

jp
Jpatm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 1:26 PM   #2

Default Re: Sunset sun - color

While it is hard to tell without seeing the picture itself, I would guess that the combination of shutter speed, lens opening and ISO were such that the sun itself was overexposed such that there is no detail in that part of your picture -- including the color.

FWIW, when photographing a sunset (or a sunrise -- more likely in my case) I tend to underexpose a bit for just this reason. While I don't do it, bracketing the exposure would probably help until you get used to what you need to do to get the exposure that you want...

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpatm65
Last week I was in Taos, NM and using my Olympus C750uz, I took pictures of the amazing colorful sunset.

The sky, etc were right on in color, but the sun turned out white in the photos - it should have been brilliant orange.

I tried and used various white balance settings, did not use the auto setting and even used a polarizer - the sun in the photos were always white.

I did notice that there was a vertical glare that I saw, it looked like there was too much glare for the camera to handle.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

jp
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Ted

Some people suggested that I use a graduated ND filter, but reading up on that that makes the photo too dark.
BTW, this is a digital camera.
It has also been suggested that I lower the EV value.......will give that a try when I am in the same situation.
Sunsets or sunrises don't last long enough to make all the adjustment...........

Joyce
Jpatm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:08 PM   #4

While it is true that they don't last long each day, they keep happening every day too, so you have lots of time to practice. Each one is different too, so you have a subject that continues on from year to year...

Best,
<TED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpatm65
Thanks, Ted

Some people suggested that I use a graduated ND filter, but reading up on that that makes the photo too dark.
BTW, this is a digital camera.
It has also been suggested that I lower the EV value.......will give that a try when I am in the same situation.
Sunsets or sunrises don't last long enough to make all the adjustment...........

Joyce
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:52 PM   #5

Hi, I tried my 602 out on some sunrises whilst on hols last week. Even through the lcd the colours were wrong, I guessed the auto white bal just thought it was tungsten. I switched to the fixed white bal options and found one which gave a preview pic something near to what the real scene was.

So I do think there might be a white bal issue to think about. Next time I might test the auto white bal through a diffuser or a Pringle lid. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote