Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:57 PM   #11

I think you should keep chasing them,Weddings are supposed to be perfect, and the photographer, Should know that.

If all else fails take it to Local press, but warn them about it first, it might spark something for you.

Good Luck.

Sim
SimmiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:18 PM   #12

"As John said, you may have a tough time pursuing any remedy. As long as they deliver you what they state, I would think you're out of luck. "

It seems from the comments so far that there are no standards whatsoever for "professional" photographers. Plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics have to show a minimal level of competence and there are standards against which their work is judged. There seems to be no minimum standard to which one can hold a photographer. Apparently anyone with a camera and an index finger can advertise their self as a professional photographer. No one who reads these forums would shoot their vacation photos at 2 mega pixels yet here's a so called professional insisting that it's perfectly acceptable and standard practice for wedding photographers.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:28 PM   #13

bill.guenthner wrote:
Quote:
"As John said, you may have a tough time pursuing any remedy. As long as they deliver you what they state, I would think you're out of luck. "

It seems from the comments so far that there are no standards whatsoever for "professional" photographers. Plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics have to show a minimal level of competence and there are standards against which their work is judged. There seems to be no minimum standard to which one can hold a photographer. Apparently anyone with a camera and an index finger can advertise their self as a professional photographer. No one who reads these forums would shoot their vacation photos at 2 mega pixels yet here's a so called professional insisting that it's perfectly acceptable and standard practice for wedding photographers.
That's mostly correct. There is no code, or standardization. The buyer must beware. A legitimate wedding photographer will be able to provide a portfolio and many samples of work...albums, prints, etc, and be able to provide many references. He/she should also have the name of their backup photographer and show you his/her equipment and the backups. It need not be all pro level (although if it isn't that's likely a warning sign). They should also have proof of insurance, a tax id number and other documentation proving they are legitimate business. Your first flag probably should have been the photographer only showing you web based work. For 2g, I assume an album would have been included and you should have seen some completed albums, binders etc. Beyond samples to prove, it's true, anyone can call themselves a pro, and the consumer must do their own homework to filter the bull**** from the real.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:51 PM   #14

I do believe that there arereasonable standards that will hold up in small claims court.

I think the ability to get a nice sharp 8x10 print is one of them. Can you make a few of those yourself from the results the photographer gave you?

It would be interesting to see now well the photographer could make some nice 8x10's. Fora typical court case and its timeline, though, that would be something the photographer suddenly comes up with as a defense as opposed to your asking in advance.

My gut feeling, too, is that 2mp is too low and set-and-forget ISO 1600 isinappropriate forprofessional photograpy. And I am an amateur snapshooter at best. Given that point and shoot cameras allow "better" settings for most of the photo-ops at a wedding, I'll introduce a legal term, "gross negligence".

Digital camera hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/digicam.htm

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:24 PM   #15

I'd hire an attorney, and have him or her write a letter to the photog demanding a full refund plus attorney fees and damages for gross negligence. Then settle for a refund plus attorney fees - at a minimum. Try to teach them a lesson. If you could scare them out of wedding photography as a profession, you would be doing everyone a favor.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:52 AM   #16

Write to"Judge Judy" She will get your $$$$ back. If you do get a lawyer make sure it will be a no pay if no win type of case. This situation happens a lot and it is awful but it does happen. It seems now-a-days that anybody with a digitalcamera will claim to be a wedding pro-photographer. $2000.00 is pro $$$. it is not like giving them $100.00 for a disc and no prints. I'm almost sure a lawer will get your money back. If not there is always "Judge Judy"

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:09 AM   #17

I agree with Ronnie. Those TV judges always rule against the photographer! Go for it!
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:52 AM   #18

Just saw this thread. I have shoot2 weddings with a Fuji S5200 and one with Fuji S9100. I always made the photos at the highest jpg quality, 2MP sounds like she she only had a 1GB card and needed to get the photos to fit or maybe they wanted to make them so small they wouldn't have to print large prints for you, thus saving money.

Just because a person might have the cameras you mentioned doen't mean they won't do a very good job. I did some family weddings as favors with mypoint and shoot cameras (non D-SLR, 10x optical zoom lens and used a hot she flash on the 9100)and got some really nice 5MPfine jpeg images. However I can see how you'd red flag them especially since they were charging you $2000 based on how they came equipped. Since I am not a pro at weddings I would never charge this much and I only charge 1/2 of front and 1/2 when I deliver whatever is promised. Also when people ask me I am honest and tell them the maximum size that the images can be printed and what gear I use so that they know. I also tell them baout my work flow (shoot everything and them someand cull later). I am more of get the moment as it happens than spending 10 or 15 minutes to pose one shot......

I'd like to offer this suggest to anyone who is planning a wedding always have a backup to the pro and have someone in the family (relatives) that is handy with a camera take as many pictures as they can that way if this happens you have a backup plan. Also always!!!! ask to see large prints they have made at aRECENT weddings with their current camera set-ups. Some people change gear so ask for stuff with the gear they currently use. If they show you something on the web make sure they tell you why they have NO prints to show you and that it makes sense and is not some excuse.

Good luck on getting your money back, small claims court sounds like a good idea to me. Also thanks for sharing your experience here so we can all learn from it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:04 AM   #19

I would like to say that there are two sides to every story.....I am the photographer so harsley judged...The gentleman that posted this has stated that enlargements could not be made from files he recieved...he recieved enlargements to prove my point which printed beautifully...he has refused to let bride...groom and grooms parents make any comments, stating that he was the customer not his daughter the bride.. He was suppose to recieve up to 500 prints on cd and I put all ondvd which were 700 plus. He has refused to sign the enlargements and send them back with letter stating why he didn't like them, and although I don't feel like I have to explain why I chose 1600 on my digital I'm going to any way.

I chose 1600 because on this setting I feel that it is equal to 400 on 35mm. Anything under 400 will blurr shots because of fast pace movement of weddings. For those who have never photographed a wedding let me just say it is not easy! You constantly have to be on the move ...you have to take lots of shots to get those moments captured. I have a business license...I took a special course on wedding photography...I have printed photographs in albums that I would have been more than glad to show him but he never ask. There is not one photographer or camera on this planet earth that would have made this man happy.

photowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:22 AM   #20

I would also like to say that I have a beautiful 16x20 print that was printed through one of commercial labs that my client said told him it couldn't be done. I would love to send this print to his daughter and her new husband but I have none of her contact info since her dad booked me and I'veonly hadhis contact info. I will be updating my contract and you can bet the bride and groom will also have to have their signatures on it to regardless of who books me. I hope any other photographer that does weddings never gets a client like this.
photowed is offline   Reply With Quote