Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2008, 9:42 AM   #1

I hired a supposed professional wedding photographer to photograph my daughter's wedding. She brought her husband and they worked as a team, each took approximately half of the photos. I was concerned when they showed up on the wedding day with a Nikon D40 and a Canon Rebel XT but it was too late to worry about that. They shot the entire event with the cameras built in pop-up flash. Again my alarm bells went off but what can you do with the wedding under way? I hoped for the best. The contract called for her to deliver all of the original digital files to me. She did. The 50% of the shots taken with the Canon were all shot at the [Small] image setting of 2 megapixels. The other half of the shots, taken with the Nikon, where ALL shot at 1600 ISO regardles of lighting conditions, even the ones shot in bright daylight. Of course these are all extremely noisy except for a few that she ran a heavy noise reduction filter on and they are beyond soft, they're actually blurry from the noise reduction. I paid her $2000 and I do not believe that 2 megapixel shots are acceptable from a professional photographer. Thankfully some of the guests showed up with digital cameras and many of their photos are better than the pro's. I have asked for a refund and of course she doesn't want to give it. What do you folks think? Should I pursue this in small claims court or just write it off as a lesson learned?
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2008, 9:51 AM   #2

thats absolutly scandelous.... a big day ruined

did you see samples of their work before hand?

how did you find them? what did the advert say if they did advertise, if they advertised as pro wedding photographers then id guess u can complain on that front, as they are deffinatly not pro

iwould be demanding a refund as the shots are surely not upto standard

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:26 AM   #3

Let me preface this by saying I am NOT an attorney. But, you'll have a very tough time pursuing this in small claims. Unless the contract specifies file sizes or resolution as long as she delivered files, she's probably met the terms of the contract.

The real question is: did you look at portfolios of their work? If so, and this work is not of the same standard as their portfolio you might have SOME leg to stand on. If you didn't look at portfolios then yes it's a lesson learned the hard way.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:59 AM   #4

I looked at her work on her website. Of course all of the photos on the website are sized small and look just fine on the computer screen. It never occurred to me to question weather the final delivered shots would be printable. I just took that as a given. Who would expect to get 2 megapixel shots in 2008?
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:04 AM   #5

At the very least, my circle of friends and acquaintences wold hear about this.

You might even post some of the very worst shots on local bulletin boards, giving the photographers their due credit.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:19 AM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
You might even post some of the very worst shots on local bulletin boards, giving the photographers their due credit.
Be very careful about this. Consult your contract with regards to how the image files can be used before you post them (whether they're good or bad) on a website.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:41 AM   #7

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
Be very careful about this. Consult your contract with regards to how the image files can be used before you post them (whether they're good or bad) on a website.
Actually, I was referring to actual, physical bulletin boards, like the ones at community centers, libraries, malls, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:44 AM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
JohnG wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I was referring to actual, physical bulletin boards, like the ones at community centers, libraries, malls, etc.
My advice is the same. If your contract says for personal, private use only then this would be a violation.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:40 PM   #9

As John said, you may have a tough time persuing any remedy. As long as they deliver you what they state, I would think you're out of luck. Did you pay them the entire fee up front?? Most legitimate photographers require around 1/2 up front and the rest upon delivery of images. What have they said upon you questioning them about their poor performance??

This a key reason why you should only use real pro's to do once in a lifetime events (which you tried to do), and not count on friends to pull a tough task like a wedding off.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:55 PM   #10

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
My advice is the same. If your contract says for personal, private use only then this would be a violation.
"Personal, private use" precludes republication, not free distribution of the recorded memories of a happy event. The photos don't have to be accompanied by a scathing review of the photographers; that might very well be superflous. It should just show the image, the name of the event, and the names of the photographers. Let the casual observers judge for themselves whether or not they might want those particular photographers to work at their event.