Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:16 PM   #11

so is getting an external flash a good investment if i want to shoot in dim light.
danielpouldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:39 PM   #12

danielpouldar wrote:
Quote:
so is getting an external flash a good investment if i want to shoot in dim light.
Yes, but if you want to shoot highly polished showcars, you are going to get some odd reflections from a flash.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:53 PM   #13

TCav-

Consider this: If Daniel uses the SB-800 with his Nikon D-40 and then uses a flash diffuser and/or bounce flash, reflections really should not be a problem at all.

Often times I use cooking demonstrations done on cruise ships as a great venue in which to teach my students good flash techniques, and there are lots of shiny utensils being used in those cooking demos.

One final thought about when to use a tripod: I teach that when you notice that you camera is using 1/50th of a second shutter speed or less, you have to do one of two things: (1) You must numerically increase your ISO setting so that you can attain a shutter speed of at least 1/50th of second.

The sample photo is from a cooking demo using the Olympus FL-50 Flash with a diffuser.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:13 PM   #14

This is the kind of effect I'm talking about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaychen/100652240/

Edit: BTW, that's a $1,200,000, 4-wheel drive automobile with a 8 liter, 16 cylinder engine, 4 turbochargers, and a 7 speed transmission. It produces 1,000 horsepower and can do 0 to 60 MPHin 2.5 seconds, and 60 to 0 in 102 feet and2.3 seconds (and that doesn't include the effect of the air brake that is only used at speeds over 120 MPH.

First I'm getting the Sony A700.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:50 PM   #15

TCav-

Thanks for the sample. That kind of flash back is easily is easy to deal with by using a diffuser like a Stoffen diffuser that just snaps right on to lamp portion (flash head) of the SB-600.

I watch the ship's photographers working in the dining room all the time taking what we call "table photos" right up close (5 to 6 feet) to the folks with Nikon D-80 cameras using the smaller SB-600 flash equipped with flash diffusers.

And please keep in mind that many of those more mature passengers are mostly wearing eye glasses. Eye glasses are probably the worst for producing unwanted glaring or so called "hot shots." And those photos clearly do not exhibit any of those unwanted "hotspots."

Here is another example where we again had to glaring. It was done with a Nikon D-40 and the SB-800 flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:33 PM   #16

TCav wrote:
Quote:
BTW, that's a $1,200,000, 4-wheel drive automobile with a 8 liter, 16 cylinder engine, 4 turbochargers, and a 7 speed transmission. It produces 1,000 horsepower and can do 0 to 60 MPHin 2.5 seconds, and 60 to 0 in 102 feet and2.3 seconds (and that doesn't include the effect of the air brake that is only used at speeds over 120 MPH.
How's the gas mileage?:evil:

brian

danielpouldar wrote:

Yes. Most have the ability to reflect the flash off the ceiling or wall to get indirect, diffuse light. Some can also be used as slave units to provide side or back lighting. My personal feeling is that a good flash is more important than buying another lens.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:43 PM   #17

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
BTW, that's a $1,200,000, 4-wheel drive automobile with a 8 liter, 16 cylinder engine, 4 turbochargers, and a 7 speed transmission. It produces 1,000 horsepower and can do 0 to 60 MPHin 2.5 seconds, and 60 to 0 in 102 feet and2.3 seconds (and that doesn't include the effect of the air brake that is only used at speeds over 120 MPH.
How's the gas mileage?:evil:
If you have to ask, ... well, you know the rest. [suB]:-)[/suB]