Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:05 PM   #1

Hello,

I would like to know what is the best way to clean the Filter lens for my Dslr camera.

I purchase some B+W filter to protect the Camera len. I try to use a micro filber cloth to clean it but don't do a good job.

I see some shop here offer some solution and paper to clean the lens are they o.k ?

Thanks !

Guppies
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:34 PM   #2

First, your camera can't focus on dirt on the filter, so the dirt is not visible. And the filter would have to really dirty to affect the quality of your images.

Second, a micofiber cloth should be able to clean your filters and lenses, but if not, you can dip the cloth in some distilled water and try that.

If even that doesn't do it, you can add some ethyl alcohol to the water. Ethyl alcohol is grain alcohol and is sold in liquor stores as EverClear. EverClear is commonly used in homemade Kahlua recipes and the like, but is also one of the best solvents available.

I don't think that paper products should be used on lenses.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:45 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
First, your camera can't focus on dirt on the filter, so the dirt is not visible. And the filter would have to really dirty to affect the quality of your images.

Second, a micofiber cloth should be able to clean your filters and lenses, but if not, you can dip the cloth in some distilled water and try that.

If even that doesn't do it, you can add some ethyl alcohol to the water. Ethyl alcohol is grain alcohol and is sold in liquor stores as EverClear. EverClear is commonly used in homemade Kahlua recipes and the like, but is also one of the best solvents available.

I don't think that paper products should be used on lenses.
Thanks ! I will try wash the microfiber cloth first (get them at Costco)and try it with ethyl alcohol + water and see
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:33 PM   #4

guppies wrote:
Quote:
Thanks ! I will try wash the microfiber cloth first (get them at Costco)and try it with ethyl alcohol + water and see
Whoa! That's water with a little ethyl alcohol! Not ethyl alcohol + water. [suB]:shock:[/suB]

And that's distilled water. Not tap water. Not spring water, Not filtered water. Reverse osmosis is ok.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote