Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1

I'm in the magazine business myself and would like to subscribe to whatever magazines out there cover a lot of tech how tos and general information for shooting sports and action. All my subjects are moving from low to high speed in various light settings, from very shady to bright sun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:12 PM   #2

Chris,

I've never seen any magazine devoted to HOW to shoot sports. Forums are a great place to learn sports shooting though. But I'll warn you, each sport has it's intricacies. And, sports shooting is VERY demanding on equipment - which sadly means those of us interested in doing it need to spend more $$$ on equipment

What sports are you interested in shooting? At what level (i.e. what level of play - pee-wee football is different than HS varsity football is different than NCAA football is different than NFL).

What equipment do you currently own?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:35 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Chris,

I've never seen any magazine devoted to HOW to shoot sports. Forums are a great place to learn sports shooting though. But I'll warn you, each sport has it's intricacies. And, sports shooting is VERY demanding on equipment - which sadly means those of us interested in doing it need to spend more $$$ on equipment

What sports are you interested in shooting? At what level (i.e. what level of play - pee-wee football is different than HS varsity football is different than NCAA football is different than NFL).

What equipment do you currently own?
Hey John,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't assume there'd be a magazine specifically for sports how tos, but it would be nice if there's a magazine devoted to more action type photography and reviews products that are good at that type of photography, as well. I'm definitely learning that having the right (expensive) equipment definitely helps out a lot when shooting sports.

I currently work for a magazine and shoot UTVs and SxSs, which are vehicles like the Yamaha Rhino, Polaris RZR, Arctic Cat Prowler, Kawasaki Teryx, and Polaris Ranger. Most of the shots we take are action with people sliding around corners spraying dirt, jumping big jumps, etc.

As far as current equipment, I'm shooting without a DSLR if that helps you any. I've been having a really hard time deciding between a D40 with great 2.8 lenses or springing for the D300 with great 2.8 lenses...it's a lot of money either way.

Chris

Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:51 PM   #4

If you can swing it, and your glass is going to be the same, I would without question go for the D300.Much higher ISO for one thing.
I have a Canon 40D, so I really can't speak to the Nikon's too much, but from all I've read, the D300 is an incredibly good camera.

Joe

ravencr wrote:
Quote:
As far as current equipment, I'm shooting without a DSLR if that helps you any. I've been having a really hard time deciding between a D40 with great 2.8 lenses or springing for the D300 with great 2.8 lenses...it's a lot of money either way.

Chris
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:55 PM   #5

Thanks man...I'm going to spring for the D300 with 18-200 lense and either a Sb-600 or Sb-800 flash. I'm hoping that with using remote lighting I can achieve some stellar shots without having to spring for the 2.8 lenses. Plus, with the environments we shoot in, changing lenses sucks, because inevitably they get dirty so quickly.

Chris
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:43 AM   #6

I"m envious of you having the 6400 ISO. I take pictures of dog agility. ravencr wrote:

Quote:
Thanks man...I'm going to spring for the D300
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:38 PM   #7

Now I need a class to teach me how to utilize it effectively.

Chris