Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpumphrey
The Sony 707/717 has a true IR mode (Nightshot mode), and could have been one of the greatest IR Digicams out there. I own a 707, You can take some great IR photos with it. In Nightshot mode the IR cut filter in the lens is moved out of the way, and allows the camera see well into the IR range. The problem with the 707/717 is that Sony got frightened about rumors that people could use the nightshot mode to see through light clothing. Real or not; Sony took action and ham strung the camera?s nightshot mode, in nightshot mode You can only shoot at max aperture (f2-f2.4) and no faster them 1/60. You can take some very nice IR photos its just going the cost more, You will need something like a R72 filter and much as a ND8 in Neutral Density filters. (Too many filters and You?ll have problems with vignetting). IR lens with cutoff s deeper into the IR range (Wratten 87A) can be used without ND filters, but You are also limiting Your tonal range. Given that You spend the money for the filters the 707/717 can take very nice IR photos.
I have had good luck avoiding vinyetting with several filters by using a step ring to go up a size or two then use filters of a larger size.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac
Does anyone know if the Canon G3 can take infrared pictures?
Yes it can but not near as well as a g1 can. If I recall right, it performs similarlly to my a70 so in bright daylight you will need several second exposures but you can get really good results with those several second exposures.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 4:03 PM   #13

hey pals, I did the test with the remote control and I got this pic (of course I could see the light from the ccd screen)

Would that mean my Oly C740uz is capable of taking great IR photos if I get the Hoya72 lens?
DriniS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 5:41 PM   #14

That's a good test, the C-7x0's have gotten some great IR pictures.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:20 PM   #15

I guess I'm getting bored or something - have been waiting for my new camera to arrive, and started playing around with some stuff I used to do a lifetime ago, but now using digital.

I've got an old tiny infrared filter from some camera I can't remember - I can't find the decent size Nikon IR filter I used to own. This tiny filter wouldn't fit on any of my cameras, so I just held it in place with my fingers. Amazingly, the Olympus e-100 is quite sensitive to IR light. My e-10 is much less sensitive. Here are two quick shots from my balcony, one taken early this morning a little after sunrise, and one right around sunset.

Miami Sunrise

Miami Sunset
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote