Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:40 PM   #1

Default Infared Pictures on Digital?

I used to have a lot of fun shooting in Infared film, first b&w (with a dark red IR filter), and later on in color.

Can digital cameras do this? I sort of doubt it, but has anyone figured out a way to do it? Is the image sensor capable of taking IR pictures, like we used to be able to do on IR film?
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:50 PM   #2

You can shoot no problem with digital, IF your camera doesn't block it too much (you can test this by pointing a remote control with good batteries at the camera and see the results on the LCD).

Here's one of my favorite photgraphers (only because she used to be an Olympus C-700 user). She has several IR galleries taken with the Minolta D7, Olympus 4040 and 5050 (look for IR or infrared in her album):

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/root&page=all
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:00 PM   #3

Do you know how she shot those? Did she use an IR filter and somehow get the color back later?

Thanks for answering - I assumed it wouldn't be possible. I'm still a bit confusabobbled though, as with film, you just buy IR film and shoot away - but with digital, if I put my old IR filter on my lens, I didn't think that would allow me to capture IR photos.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:14 PM   #4
NHL

Not all camera can take infrared... My original D7 with its wider colorspace can, whereas its updated siblings: the D7i and D7Hi with their more standard sRGB colorspace can't. My newer 10D dSLR (or the 300D) is also blind to IR!

The Hoya R72 is commonly used for IR shots; However this filter cut out a lot of light and you'll need a tripod even in full daylight... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5793827
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:27 PM   #5

Once you told me it was possible, I started digging around on the 'net. Here's a nice article that explains a lot.

I did the test of aiming a tv remote at my Olympus e-10 and e-100. The e-10 couldn't see anything, but the e-100 showed a bright white spot where teh remote was emitting. I've got a feeling that the e-100 might take some pretty good IR shots. Maybe I'll play with that this week.

Here's the link:
http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/ir.htm
Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:03 AM   #6

NHL, I'm not sure it has to do with the colorspace, most manfacturers are now putting an IR cut filter right into the lense to make it easier for the camera to make good "normal" pictures. The d7 did not have a IR cut filter, minolta did put one in on the newer 7i and 7hi.

You can test to see if your camera MAY be able to take infrared pictures by holding a couple of BLACK(developed - unexposed) pieces of slide film in front of the lense and trying to take some pictures. I've seen pics from the nikon 5700 and the hoya IR filter that looked quite good.

Here is a test shot I did with my 5400 through 2 piece of black slide film.

Looks like it will work to me, so I am going ahead and ordering either the hoya or B&W ir filters for next summer, (they are quite expensive)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:56 PM   #7

Hi, I read the same as PeterP - the lens systems can have stop filters. But on most cameras with high ISO's there's usually still some IR sensitivity left. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:15 AM   #8

My canon a70 does it just fine. In bright daylight I can get a decent exposed shot with a 2-3 second exposure and the camera goes to 15 sec. These were just my initial atempts to see what the camera could do (so they suck). I haven't gotten around to uploading anything beter yet (dialup sucks too).
Some are photoshoped but many are right out of the camera. Look at ir1, ir2, and ir3
http://www.pbase.com/richardh
Most were shot at iso 50.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:45 PM   #9

The Sony 707/717 has a true IR mode (Nightshot mode), and could have been one of the greatest IR Digicams out there. I own a 707, You can take some great IR photos with it. In Nightshot mode the IR cut filter in the lens is moved out of the way, and allows the camera see well into the IR range. The problem with the 707/717 is that Sony got frightened about rumors that people could use the nightshot mode to see through light clothing. Real or not; Sony took action and ham strung the camera’s nightshot mode, in nightshot mode You can only shoot at max aperture (f2-f2.4) and no faster them 1/60. You can take some very nice IR photos its just going the cost more, You will need something like a R72 filter and much as a ND8 in Neutral Density filters. (Too many filters and You’ll have problems with vignetting). IR lens with cutoff s deeper into the IR range (Wratten 87A) can be used without ND filters, but You are also limiting Your tonal range. Given that You spend the money for the filters the 707/717 can take very nice IR photos.
rlpumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:37 PM   #10

Does anyone know if the Canon G3 can take infrared pictures?
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote