Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:50 AM   #1

Default Help - images have disappeared from PC

I downloaded a folder full of images from my S50 via Downloader Pro and after having a look at them with Breezebrowser I copied them to a working file in My Pictures. A few weeks later I discovered that each of the image files in the My Pictures folder just contained zero bytes, although the image files with the references were still there. I then went back to the downloaded photo files and found exactly the same thing had happened there.

Now for a couple of days my PC was operating with a wrong year date which I had changed in error when setting the time. I could well have had the My Pictures folder open during that time although I really don't think I opened the original download folder again.

Can the wrong date have had a bearing on this and anyway how could it empty the files whilst leaving the headers there OR could it be anything to do with the S50/ Downloader Pro or Breezebrowser combination :?:

Adrian
adrianweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:27 AM   #2

Have you checked for a virus lately? There have been viruses which will do nasty things to jpg files. Some will replace the jpg with an infected executable (i.e. take advantage of the "hide known extentions" mis-feature in windows.) I believe there is one which will truncate all pictures to 0 bytes.

I would search around more about this.
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/

Is a good place to search. They also have a good database of hoax email viruses ("social viruses").

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:56 AM   #3

Well thanks but it's definitely not a virus. Beats me !
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:34 AM   #4

Files missing sounds to me like harddisk trouble, but then you would also miss the preview files.

I understand you can see them as thumbnails, but the whole file is gone, at that point I vote for what Eric S said. (In case of doubt always double check with different (trial) virus checker).

Another possibility; Has Downloader pro an option to make links to files instead of copies?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2003, 1:31 AM   #5

No I can't actually see the thumbnails either. The icons are there to show there are image in the folders and the image reference number are still there but the contents of each image file have evaporated ! It's only those two folders out of hundreds I have but it is possible that I did open and close both of them whilst my PC thought it was 2000 and the image data was showing 2003. I guess I could do an experiment and take a few shots and then change the date again and see if I can recreate it.