Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1

i just got a nikon d40 and am wondering what mode is better to use when photographing stationary cars in great day light.... is the auto mode better OR the "P" mode (states in the manual that the P mode automatically adjusts the aperture and shutter speed).. these two modes sound very very similer. wha mode is better to shoot in????
danielpouldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:34 PM   #2

I have a Canon 40D, not familiar with how the Nikon's work. However, at least with my Canon if one is using the full auto mode you can't change very many things. If you're in P mode, you at least have the *option* of changing things.
To try it yourself, put the camera in the full auto mode, then press the Menu (or whatever button you press to bring up the options)
Now do the same thing, only in P mode. You can probably change a lot more parameters in P than in Full Auto. Things like white balance...

Other than that, I don't think that there's any difference btwn the 2 modes.

Joe
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:55 PM   #3

The advice that I see the most is for using "P" mode over Full Auto.

Full Auto locks you out of some options that are still open with the Program AE Mode. Here's what Ken Rockwell has to say about "P" mode:

I use "P" for program auto exposure. In this mode the camera chooses the f/stop and shutter speed for you. [align=left]It's easy to get to any aperture or shutter speed you prefer in this mode: simply move the rear dial to shift them. This selects alternate combinations of f/stops and shutter speeds which give the same exposure. Nikon calls this "Program Shift." A *P symbol appears on the bottom left of the viewfinder, to the left of the shutter speed.[/align][align=left]Mr. Rockwell has a fairly good users guide for the D40 which is free to read. He does ask for a $5.00 "donation" if you print it out, though. Here it is:[/align][align=left]http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm[/align][align=left] Grant
[/align]
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:24 AM   #4

so generally speaking if im gonna shoot in daylight and dnt plan on changing any settings.. do u suggest shooting on AUTO or P.. this confuses me because both seem to be pretty much exactly the same.?????

-which one???
danielpouldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:26 PM   #5

Auto mode does not allow you to make any adjustments once the exposure is set. Program mode does..you can change aperture, shutter speed or dial in EV compensation if you wish to fine tune the exposure.

If you're not going to dial in any adjustments, then it doesn't matter which mode you choose. P just gives you more flexibility.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 1:30 PM   #6

danielpouldar wrote:
Quote:
so generally speaking if im gonna shoot in daylight and dnt plan on changing any settings.. do u suggest shooting on AUTO or P.. this confuses me because both seem to be pretty much exactly the same.?????

-which one???
This is going change somewhat on the feature set on your particular camera. On my Kodak Z612 and most of the Z*12s Auto and P Mode are the same except that you can change the ISO and exposure compensation in P Mode. Outdoor stationary car shots you probably wouldn't need to change the ISO but you might want to be able to crank in some exposure compensation.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote