Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:35 PM   #11
kex

I used my first digicam last christmas to take photos of a rotting potatoe in order to see the progress. ;-)
Yesss, I was really bored! :lol:

This is, where you can find the project: http://www.digitalpleasure.net/dev/i...potatoeproject
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 1:52 PM   #12

Default Re: Alternative uses for a digicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
different uses for a digicam ..... So I wondered if other members had some unusual applications.
Use a wonderful bit of software called TVWriter from www.satsignal.net, which takes ANY jpeg and converts it to a suitable size, format, and naming convention, ready to write on to your camera's memory card.

If your camera has a TV output, you can then inflict your life's work, sales presentation, political platform, holiday snaps., etc., complete with captions, on any poor unsuspecting captive audience that owns a telly. Your digicam becomes a poor man's laptop+computer projector, or poor man's computer+state-of-the-art lecture theatre.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 1:56 PM   #13

Default Re: Alternative uses for a digicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
So I wondered if other members had some unusual applications.
Here's another:
I actually used a camcorder plugged in to the TV, but my digicam would have been better to.....

...take occcasional photographs of a suspect mole on my back which I couldn't see directly, and produce an image on the TV with a ruler alonside to monitor its growth over time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:12 PM   #14

My mother used hers when she was shopping for a new pair of glasses. She got a girlfriend to take pictures of her when she was trying on different pairs and then went home and made her decision while looking at all of them to see which one suited her the best.
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:56 PM   #15

Default I used

An Agfa ePhoto 1280 as a handly little hammer to pound tumbtacks up for my backdrop.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:17 PM   #16

Photographing the manual is a great idea!

I often use my Canon S230 to take pictures of broken hardware items before going to Home Depot. Instead of writing down the manufacturer's name, specifications and serial numbers, I take my digicam to the store and show the picture to an employee if necessary to get the right sprinkler head, electric switch, etc.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:09 PM   #17

I really like the plumbing idea. That would be good for lots of stuff where you are working blind other than plumbing.

My next door neighbor tore down his house and built a new one. I made lots of shots while it was being built so he has a reference to what is in the walls. I did a last big series just before they drywalled. I gave him a couple of CDs with all the shots as a housewarming present. I wish someone had done that for my house.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:51 PM   #18

I got home late at night only to find the shower was leaking! Took off the face plate on the mixing valve and found it was shot. Took a coolpix shot of the valve an off to Home Depot at 11pm. The plumbing clerk said"Do you have any idea of how many thermostaic mixing valves there are on the market?" I showed him the pic, he handed me the part and I was in the shower before midnight.

Pics also come in handy before you disassemble something to repair it. Very nice to look at the pic and see where that part goes!

Comes in handy if you have something like a telescope with many parts and a box that just fits. Snap a pic and putting the equipment back in the box is very easy as you KNOW where everything goes.
geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:21 PM   #19

Ok here is my list already mentioned by others;
Hardware, documents, timetables, artwork memorizer, and best of all futuristic portable home theater anex portable harddrive (for any data). If you ask me; It beats a laptop presentation by a mile, wouldn't call this a poormans sollution. Once I went out to capture a national festival day preparation to show same afternoon to a friend confined to sickbed. With tv at his bed this could be a nice personal tv show of outdoors life. Sadly I forgot to bring a conversion plug along:-(

My friend once used the camera as a address book extension; At a convention he took a picture of everybody he talked with.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:56 PM   #20
lg

I photographed a broken plastic bracket for the upper rack of my dishwasher, and also the manufacturer's model number and serial number on the metal plate just inside the unit. This made getting the exact replacement part a snap!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote