Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:08 PM   #1

Default Alternative uses for a digicam

Whilst on holiday last week I found a number of different uses for a digicam - other than shooting pretty scenes and the family! So I wondered if other members had some unusual applications.

Here's a few I used:

Photograph Spanish bus timetables on the stops - they are always changing them.

Use the optical and digital zoom at max if you forget the binocculars - then in preview mode do digital zoom again. (Yes I did find a use for digital zoom!)

Photograph menus in restaurants to preview/translate for a return visit.

Keep the camera manual pages on a spare flash card.

Photograph 'how to get there' maps in stores.

What alternative uses have you found? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 5:11 PM   #2

You're not the first...with my previous digital (JamCam) which I can carry anywhere since it's light I'd photograph grarage sale notices I came accross while walking along (faster than entering it into the PDA on the spot).

With my Oly C-700 I've used it when I'm repairing something, so I know where the wires go when I put it back together (faster and better than doing a diagram).

Another thing I've done is take pictures of the programs entered into my VCR's timer...when I go away I might cut down what shows are taped due to the tape time limit; when I get back I look at the picture stored in the computer to see all the shows I normally tape and enter them back into the VCR.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:33 PM   #3

I've used mine to take blind shots in the cabinet, under the sink, at the back to quickly see where the @#$% plumbing leak was coming from. I set the camera to Program mode, set the zoom by best guess, aimed the lens in the general direction and took a shot--repeated until the framing was right.

Advantages:
-saves wear and tear on my old knees and back,
-can quickly enlarge photo enough to see exectly what's going on,
-helps determine what hardware is needed to fix the blasted thing,
-can take a print of the plumbing hook up to the hardware store to show the floor person what I can't other wise describe and buy the needed repair parts.

Obviously the digicam can be useful to visualize other hard/awkward to see mundane things around the house, car, or boat.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:34 PM   #4

Don't have my new compact camera yet (A-80) but I envision using it at the library to photograph research articles, usually 2 or 3 pages each for later review on the monitor or low resolution printing as a photo copy -- just good enough to see the words and photos etc. Hopefully it will beat using their expensive copy machines and the result will be in color rather than B&W. Don't know if this is practical or not. I am thinking low or medium resolution on the Jpeg and low to medium printer settings willl work.

I really like the idea of taking shots of hard-to-see plumbing (blind spots inside a cabinet, etc.) -- pretty good idea.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:02 PM   #5

I wish I had used it to photograph my knee when it was really swelling. By the time I got to the Ortho surgeon, it was about 1/3 the size it was before.

I've used it to take pictures of maps of new hiking areas.

I've used it to take pictures of furnature in a store which buys up estates and resells them. Showed the table to my girlfriend, went back and got it the next day. I invented a new unit of measure while there. I had my mom stand by the table to make it easier to know its size... It's 1/4 a "mom" high (unlike the 4 shelf filing cabnet which was 1 "mom" high.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I wish I had used it to photograph my knee when it was really swelling. By the time I got to the Ortho surgeon, it was about 1/3 the size it was before.
Here's a nice X-ray picture for you:
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/08...h/fun/Xray.jpg

It was taken by placing the x-ray on a lightbox.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:25 AM   #7

I am currently shopping around for some (classic wood) furniture and art to brighten up my living.

I have used my digicam shooting a lot furniture in several shops for comparison, including taking pics from a number of ordering books that were there (which was handy to record actual sizes of the furniture listed).

Also used it to get impressions of art objects, always after asking whether taking pics was allowed of course. It is amazing how many galeries will let you take pics, if you tell them it is for comparison purposes only and not to be distributed to others. Very nice, and it gives me the opportunity to reflect on the buying decision at home (art is quite expensive i found).

Oh...and I also used it to convert a flap-over presentation to a powerpoint presentation. That was quite a challenge, but worth it.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:40 AM   #8

When I go on my hikes, I take a picture of the maps and stuff at the trailhead. I can then zoom in on it later if I need to figure out which path leads where etc
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Here's a nice X-ray picture for you:
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/08...h/fun/Xray.jpg

It was taken by placing the x-ray on a lightbox.
That looks really painfull!!!
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:42 AM   #10

Thanks so far - the photoshot of the plumbing is creative, presumably it works on hard to see car engine areas as well!

Xray digicams - there's an idea. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote