Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:01 PM   #1

Hi, I have used two Casio cams for the past 8-9 years, a QV-2000UX and a QV-3000EX. Both of them organized pictures in folders named YYYYMMDD (new folder each date) with the actual pictures named MMDDnnnn.jpg.

I have seen tons of other cameras where all the pictures get dumped into one folder, or more than one with no apparent rhyme or reason, and the pictures are all numbered sequentially. To me this seems totally whacky, and I know I would never find anything later. As it has been for years for me now, the folders get copied to my PC, and every now and then I burn them to CD or DVD, and I can always find whatever I want as long as I have an idea WHEN it took place.

So, my question is, are there any cameras on the market today that organize pictures by name and folder this way? I know I am just one dumb user, but it seems to me that the other ways I have seen for organizing files on a camera are crazy, and this is the only sensible way. ;-)

Thanks for any help (and I hope not too many flames),
Shimon

shimonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:41 PM   #2

You don't have to rely on the camera for this. I use the date method with windows explorer. Folders by year, subfolders by month, sub-sub folders by day. If you add tags for catalogging, it makes it easy to find anything.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:49 PM   #3

Unless I misunderstand, that will give me folders dated *the day I upload to my PC*,
rather than the day I took the pictures. So, if I took pictures over the course of a week or two w/o uploading (and with a nice sized CF that is no problem at all!),
I would need to manually build folders and sort pics.. ugh. (Plus I would never remember to do it right...)

Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:45 PM   #4

You can name the folders anything you want.

I create folders with yymmdd followed by a title for the event.

I do this because I don't use the software that comes with my camera. There are programs for organizing your photos anyway you like. The program you use seems to only do it one way, but other programs allow you to organize photos by date, by subject, by keyword, by anything you want. Three very popular programs that, in addition to having organizing capabilities, are very powerful photo editting application are Adobe Photoshop Elements, Corel Paint Shop Pro, and Ulead PhotoImpact. They aren't free, but they are available as trial downloads, so you can try them out and if you like them, then you can pay for them.

There are also some free programs, one of the more popular is Irfanview.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:52 AM   #5

I appreciate the advice, and am aware that I can do almost anything I want regarding RE-naming folders and files, but my question was what CAMERAs name files by date when they are CREATED. Other than the antique Casios I own(ed), are there any others?
Thank you!
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:48 AM   #6

Usually, cameras name their files using a prefix ('DSC' for 'Digital Still Camera' sometimes followed by a letter for the manufacturer's name, or 'PICT' for 'Picture') followed by a sequentially assigned index number.

What your Casio digicams do is atypical.

There are, however, other programs than can do what you currently have, and more. I've used PowerBatchwhich is quite a capable program for a lot of things.

What you describe is not typical for a digicam, but it is something that is readily available by other means.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:58 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
You can name the folders anything you want.

I create folders with yymmdd followed by a title for the event.

I do this because I don't use the software that comes with my camera.

I do the same thing and each event or photo assignment/outing goes into a seperate folder (in fact if I shoot two differnt things in one day they go into seprate folders). By having more than just the date -- I use the event name more than the date I am able to find my pictures quickly. I tend to burn the photos to a CD/DVD the same day as well as put them onto my backup external storage centeral hard drive.

Also I keep an MS Word document listing all the dates and events and which CD/DVD they are filled on. Does me no good to know what event I want if I can't find the disc it is on. Ok, I could search throw 75 DVDs but whats the point......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote