Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Light diffusion question

Hi,

I have a macro setup with a few desk lamps (clamp-on, swiveling kind), and constantly shoot through clear plastic holders...

I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to diffuse the light so the bulbs can't be seen as a reflection.

I've tried the dome, but angles play a big part of what I shoot, and sometimes the dome doesn't work too well. Paper works, but I can't cover a hot light with paper...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:54 PM   #2

If you place something in front of the light also take care that a hot lightbulb needs ventilation, otherwise things like the socket itself may melt. Maybe it is an idea to look around for a wasted ceiling lamp with glass profile? The milkywhite plastic containers for tl lamps might also work aslong as it is at a certain distance from bulb (depending on lamp). Another idea might be using an energy saving lamp, especially the pl lamp (example images http://www.nolico.com/saveenergy/pl_type_lamps.htm
http://www.lichtpaleis.nl/spaarlamp.htm)
are build in diffuser glas and hardly run hot.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:23 PM   #3

Default Or

You coud aim the light off of the subject & clip on a reflector to redirect the light back onto the subject.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:35 PM   #4

Default Re: Light diffusion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to diffuse the light so the bulbs can't be seen as a reflection.
As long as you're not shooting metal, try a polarizer...I used one once when shooting something on a standard countertop and the reflections of the undercabinet bulbs could be seen in the aborite. A polarizer has many, many uses.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:55 PM   #5

As long as I'm not shooting metal? Coins they are

Here is the lamp: lamp

I need these so I can use different types of bulbs (soft white, reveal, etc.)... and the many angles are necessary... My best bet would be something that clamps onto the lamp that is a shade.

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:25 PM   #6

How about making a bounce reflector (out of cardboard and tinfoil for that matter), you shine the light on the reflector, and the reflector shines a uniform light onto the coin. You can even try using the dull side of the tinfoil. Just a thought.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote