Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:01 PM   #11

did you find a solution? I too am looking for something near real time. I'm looking to use a digital camera with my slit lamp (Optometry, eye exam equipment). I'd like to be able to take the pic, then have it on the PC right away. I dont want to have to pull out the card, or go through unnecessary menus, and cable hook-ups.

i would like something better than the resolution of a webcam.

-Kevin
drrehak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:45 AM   #12

drrehak wrote:
Quote:
did you find a solution? I too am looking for something near real time. I'm looking to use a digital camera with my slit lamp (Optometry, eye exam equipment). I'd like to be able to take the pic, then have it on the PC right away. I dont want to have to pull out the card, or go through unnecessary menus, and cable hook-ups.

Unless I'm mistaken, my ophthalmologist already does that. He's been comparing images of my retina over the years for a while now. Is that what you're talking about?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:39 AM   #13

I think I'm going to use a video camera and use software that converts a plugged in video camera into a webcam like stream. It should be higher quality than a webcam because the video cameras have better chips in them etc.
tomhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:07 AM   #14

yes, its like what your ophthalmologist probably already does. Especially if its somethingh that is attached to the slit lamp. I do have something thats called a Retinal Camera ($20,000) but its a big, bulky, separate piece of equipment that must be wheeled in on a cart everytime I want to use it.

I want something on my slit lamp, for pictures through the eyepiece of the microscope. I can focus it on any part of the eye. There are sytems available for this, but I am looking for more flexiblilty in upgrading cameras/software over the time. The systems that are out there are also very expensive for what you get.

thale, which camera/software package did you decide upon?

-Kevin
drrehak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:11 AM   #15

No system yet since I'm still looking for funding but I figured I should somewhat know what I'm talking about before seeking it.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:12 AM   #16

No system yet since I'm still looking for funding but I figured I should somewhat know what I'm talking about before seeking it.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:16 PM   #17

tomhale wrote:
Quote:
I think I'm going to use a video camera and use software that converts a plugged in video camera into a webcam like stream. It should be higher quality than a webcam because the video cameras have better chips in them etc.
Not by much. HD video is HD video, whether it's captured by a $1,000 camcorder or a $100 webcam.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:17 PM   #18

tomhale wrote:
Quote:
...I figured I should somewhat know what I'm talking about before seeking it.
Usually a good itea. [suB]:-)[/suB]
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:38 PM   #19

drrehak wrote:
Quote:

-Kevin
You may be in luck. This just showed up on the Steve's main page. Sounds like it could possibly be the answer you are looking for.

http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/sd_wifi.html

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:17 AM   #20

The methods that your referring to are all pretty slow - physically moving the card, wi-fi, etc. Why don't you use a camera that supports remote capture? The capability is on a number of P&S as well as dSLRs. It eliminates the time necessary to write to the card, then read back from the card, then transfer out of the camera, i.e., just the direct transfer. It's still relatively slow, but.....

http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...449.asp?model=
http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm

Also, there are the usb web cams attached to a laptop that may be useful.

Another idea is something like the eee PC (or other similiar nettop unit from a variety of vendors) that has a web camera (just a usb cam attached to an initernal port) built in along with the software. Its cheap - $400 - which includes the laptop, camera and software. Plus its rather fast. For full motion video, its jerkey and has latency, but for your use from what I understand, it may work.

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-eee-pc-...208017730.html

hope that helps...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote