Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the better option for what I require???
Nikon Coolpix 5700 2 25.00%
Nikon D100 (Body only) 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:31 AM   #1

Default Pro's & Con's - D100 v's 5700 (went with the 5700)

Hopefully some friendly folk here can steer me in the right direction with this question. Currently I have a Nikon F90X (35mm SLR) which I know my way around pretty well, but now want to upgrade to a good Digital, well better than my 1.3Megapixel Sony at least... :lol:

I have gone through the hoards of different models and brands and the 2 that I am stuck with are the D100 & the 5700.

Both seem to be excellent cameras but I am trying to weigh up all the pro's & con's with each, as there is quite a price difference, and obviously one is superior to the other in specifications, capabilities, etc...

To summarize, there is approx a AU$1300 difference (US$890) between each model, and I would rather not spend that sort of cash unnecessarily if the 5700 is going to do the job adequately, and last quite a while as well... Also, taking into account that the D100 is an SLR type camera, I am of the thinking that my exsisting lenses will work with it... Nikkor AF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6D, AF 80-200mm 1:4.5-5.6D, AF 28-200mm 1:3.5-5.6.

I mainly take landscape shots as well as close ups of my fish and many aquariums as can be seen at my gallery http://www.mollyman.com/phpBB2/album.php, mind you, all the pics in my gallery were taken with the 1.3MP cam...

any help, suggestions, etc, will be greatly appreciated...

Thank you in advance...
Mollyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2003, 4:06 PM   #2

You will simply get better photos with the DLSR. The CCD is physically larger and things like noise and shadow detail are much better. Even the DLSR doesnít have the exposure latitude of good film, but it is a lot better than the small CCDs on prosumer cameras like the 5700. You will also think you have died and gone to hell when you see the EVF viewfinder. The DOF is greater on a DLSR than a 35mm, but it is smaller than a prosumer. It is often very difficult to blur the background with a prosumer camera due to the large DOF.

All that being said, I went to a good prosumer after years of 35mm SLR and donít intend getting a DLSR. One smallish camera has the versatility of a large DLSR + lens because of the small CCD. Iím never going to schlep a large camera and bag full of lenses around again. I can see the difference in photos between my digicams and DLSR, but Iím willing to accept that for the convenience. And Iíve learned to appreciate some of the advantages of the EVF. You get feedback of exposure as well as focus. And the better cameras can display a real time histogram in the EVF.

If you donít go with the DLSR consider the Minolta A1. The 28-800 zoom range is more appropriate for landscapes. And the lens is stabilized so you donít usually have to carry a tripod except for night shots. The Nikon 5700 is a great camera, but I prefer the wide capability to a little more tele capability. And the stabilized lens is a big plus in marginal light.

Also consider getting a little pocket camera in addition to your main camera. I get more shots with my little camera than I do with my big one because it is always with me in a little belt pouch. The Pentax 555 is 5Mp and has a 5X zoom. The Canon S400 is a little smaller, cheaper and quite a good camera. The Pentax S4 is 4Mp with a 3X zoom and will fit in an Altoids tin Ė no kidding.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:57 AM   #3

Go to a store which carries both, bring your lenses and try them out. Get a feel for each camera. One difference which might bother you is that the 5700 doesn't have a manual focus ring, it has two buttons which electronically alter the focus. If you are used to lenses (which you are) this could bother you.

It's hard to say a D100 is worth the extra money. It is certainly a "better" camera (in many ways) and the 5700 is good too (and "better" in other ways.) So you are not choosing between an expensive good one and a cheap lemon. And better is quite subjective. Some would say that the lighter weight of the 5700 makes is the "Better" choice and you can't really argue against that. Weight matters a lot to some people. That is why I suggest you try it out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 2:48 PM   #4

Thanks eric, good point about getting them both in hand and giving them the good old once over... of all the comparison points I was looking at I failed to even think about "comfort" factor and the overall feel of the camera bady... I guess for that sort of cash one would want to be comfortable with what they are working with...

Thanks...
Old Dec 23, 2003, 4:53 PM   #5

Well, after deciding on the 5700 (due to price, and I want to get fully imersed in the Digital scene before spending some big $$$ on a top notch cam, but it will happen) I am more than happy with the results it has given me...

I found the controls easy to use, and for travelling, it certainly beat carrying around a body and 3-4 lenses like I previously did with my Nikon 35mm SLR.

Here are some examples (most of the pics I took were 1600x1200 and larger, but due to the amount of pics I have on my site, and to be user friendly I have bumped them down to 800x600, although I still have the originals)...

many more pics in my GALLERY

Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:06 PM   #6

Some great pics. I found this link helpful when I first bought my 5700

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15342
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the heads up Phil... I will check that out...
Old Dec 25, 2003, 8:12 PM   #8

I hope you enjoy your 5700. I've read posts from many happy users of that camera.

I'm not going to ask how close you were to that moose. At the wrong time of year, they can be very tempermental beasts.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote