Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:26 PM   #11

If I were to jump ship (from the S.S. Nikon) I would probably go to Canon for their great selection of lenses and other accessories. The range is unmatched IMHO.

As for the A900...www.dpreview.com has pictures samples up already...saw one shot at ISO 3200...very noticeable grain or noise. Depending how you look at it. Some people like that "film look". But it seems the A900 isn't that great in low-light based on some of the photo samples I've seen.

The upcoming 5D MkII is supposed to have a maximum ISO of 25,600 like the new Nikon FF bodies. And the 5D MkII is rumored to have 2 DIGIC IV processors further aiding in reducing noise at high ISO. Will Canon succeed? We'll find out in time...hope they announce it at Photokina.

Good news with the A900 is that it is also priced at 3k. Same as the asking price for Nikon's D700. Looks like there's gonna be a gun fight! I mean I'd assume Canon will price the new 5D also at 3k.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:47 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I do think Sony will get Zeiss to produce a few very nice primes in due course. Look at their mid-telephoto offerings for example.

The great thing about the A900 is that it will put real price pressure on Canon in their 5D replacement.

BTW - have you seen the prices of 5Ds at the moment? £1299 at www.warehouseexpress.com - the new model must be imminent.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:03 PM   #13

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I do think Sony will get Zeiss to produce a few very nice primes in due course. Look at their mid-telephoto offerings for example.

The great thing about the A900 is that it will put real price pressure on Canon in their 5D replacement.

BTW - have you seen the prices of 5Ds at the moment? £1299 at www.warehouseexpress.com - the new model must be imminent.
Yes I have. If I couldn't wait for the 5D's replacement I would surely have snapped up a 5D. But as I said I would have to be "jumping ship". Don't even know for sure if I want to do that even if Canon offers THE "FF killer". As I said the current 5D is already said to offer better image quality than either the D700 or D3. Impressive feat. Considering how old the 5D is.

Will be interesting if I do board the S.S. Canon and also have my foot on Ship Nikon. Best of both worlds. It would just mean I will need to buy a new set of Canon lenses if I do buy the MkII. And choose to stick to in-house lenses.

Though Sigma has a good selection of FF lenses. Would be nice if Tokina offered more FF. Perhaps in time with all the new FF bodies on the horizon.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:24 PM   #14
NHL

Since I'm already on the S.S. Canon and Nikon... I don't mind taking a cruise on the Sony: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0HI_ISO_NR.HTM
(... at 1/2 the price)

IMO it's good to discuss noise when viewed on-screen, but theses type of cameras are really intended for large prints where noise is not as relevant - Also for most kind of shots theses camera will be used in (i.e. in a studio for example high ISO is never a consideration)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:34 AM   #15

Or how about the new 5D MkII at a comparable price? Hmm will Canon set the asking price above that of the A900 and D700? Or will they make the new 5D another $3000 FF body. Hmmm...

And I have a sneaking susicsion that it's high ISO performance might surprise us with a rumored 2 DIGIC IV processors and time to do some tweaking of algorithms. With high ISO performance rumored also to 25,600 like the two Nikons. This is Canon's chance to take back the spotlight from Nikon.

I'm so looking forwards to official details and reviews. Which will definitely include a comparison of all the new FF bodies. Should be a avery interesting year.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:23 AM   #16
Administrator

Personally, I would have preferred that Sony would have taken the same approach that Nikon used with the D3 and D700, and used a lower resolution full frame sensor with higher usable ISO speeds.

Apparently, Sony decided to target a different user base with the A900, which offers the highest resolution sensor of any dSLR body to date in a lower priced package compared to alternatives. For lower ISO speed work (studio photography, landscapes, etc.), that makes sense, and it looks like Sony is working hard to turn out some newer lenses that have enough resolving power to take advantage of a sensor like this one (for example, the Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 and 16-35mm f/2.8. Given the higher resolution images, it looks like it's higher ISO speeds are still going to be usable at most print/viewing sizes (and you could use third party NR tools to help out if needed). So, that gives it more versatility at a much lower price poinkt, compared to some options like a digital back for an MF camera.

Also, I wouldn't assume that work isn't ongoing with the Sony A900's firmware, as we've had multiple upgrades to the Sony A700 firmware designed to improve IQ so far (not just for bug fixes). I'd see how the images print from it, too (as I've been pretty surprised at how much difference printing an image from a given camera can make, versus what you think it may look like using a downsized version on screen).

It will be interesting to watch what types of users buy some of these newer camera models and see how they compare in different shooting conditions, and more competition will help lower prices for everyone.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:25 PM   #17
Administrator

Here's the first "field report" I've seen with much in the way of user impressions.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../a900-nr.shtml

Here's an interesting part:

Quote:
...Given that this is well under half that of the well regarded Canon 1DsM3, and that the images are very close in quality, then this has to be a great deal. You could buy the body and two top Zeiss lenses for much the same as the Canon.
Hopefully, we'll also see some conversions from raw soon using a different raw converter so that we can see what the sensor is capable of.

Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:31 AM   #18
Administrator

It looks like Sony Japan has posted a couple of samples from the A900 using the Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 with it. I'm tempted to have that first one printed and see what it looks like at a larger size. ;-) You can click on a photo to see the full size original.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer...00/sample.html

Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:52 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Should be a a very interesting year.
Yes, a lot of new products tend to be introduced leading into a big show like Photokina, too (since it's very large and only held once every two years).

I'd keep an eye on Steve's Photokina 2008 Report page to help keep up with them.

Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:59 PM   #20
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I would have preferred that Sony would have taken the same approach that Nikon used with the D3 and D700, and used a lower resolution full frame sensor with higher usable ISO speeds.
Why?

First of all, they could (since they make the sensor for Nikon)
Secondly that's a closed market IMO - So why jump in that segment? Whoever want a Canon or Nikon is married to that system already (i.e. for the sake of their lenses...)

Has anyone seen a Hasselblad user complains about his lack of high-ISO capability (or lens)? From my past experience with this type of camera, I don't even think a medium format user care much about 45/51 AF points either and this Sony offers quite an affordable (and flexible) alternative. Hey - it used to be a joy to magnify that focusing screen!
Photographers who are after this quality of printed enlargements also care a lot about composition and lighting, they have no need for ISO-3200 let alone 25600. Here's a sanity check: http://www.michaelfurtman.com/on_pixel_peeping.htm

It'll depend on the next 5D but at this time the Sony is king in resolution... Let's not forget that: 12 is still only half of 24M
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote