Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Compact Camera and still good... which one should I buy?

I'm looking for a new camera, but I can't find the right one for me... can't a good soul help me?
I need a camera that it's SMALL, because I want to take it everywhere and don't think big cameras fit in my pockets. That's a must.
For the quality... maybe 4 or 5 MPixels... I'm not sure about the difference... can anyone explain/show me what is the difference?
For zoom... I don't know, I wanted a 10x zoom, but found out that very few cameras have that much zoom... I'm not sure how much zoom I should need.
About the rest... damn, I don't understand a thing about cameras, so I have no idea how the rest of the things work...

I saw the Olympus C-750UZ... what can I expect from it?
I want to take photos of my friends, and of anything nice that's happening. So I want to take photos indoor and outdoor...
Anyone can help me?
Miwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:45 AM   #2
Administrator

The Olympus is a good camera in the 10x models, but I would not consider it small enough to fit in a pocket (unless you have big pockets).

My two favorite cameras in the "pocketable" 4 to 5 Megapixel Category are the Canon Powershot S400, and the Konica Revio KD-510z (a.k.a. Minolta DiMAGE G500). Both have 3x Optical Zoom Lenses.

You can see some photos from my Konica here:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

Here are the features (from Minolta's web site):

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...etail=Features
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:09 AM   #3

It's always going to be a tossup between lots of zoom, and pocketable...here's an example of the camera (C-700, but has the same 10x zoom) at full wide angle, and full optical zoom for you to compare:

Full wide (35mm):
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328792
Full optical (some digital zoom snuck in, 407mm, should be 380mm but not much difference):
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328791

Just a note that the zoom factor doesn't mean it's that much closer than the eye as the zoom factor is the difference from full wide to full telephoto, the eye is considered to be 50mm and anything less than that is wide angle.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:09 AM   #4

(Accidental duplicate post, erased by myself as I couldn't delete it.)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:24 AM   #5

A pocketable camera?

You chould definitely check out Casio's EXILIM line. No other camera out there has up to a 4 megapixel CCD that is as thin as the EXILIM's.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 1:34 PM   #6

If you want real pocketability look at the Pentax Optio S4. It has 4Mp, 3X optical zoom and will fit in an Altoids tin. The images are a little soft in the corners and there is some vignetting, but the images look sharp. The Casio Z4 uses the same Pentax lens as the S4 but it is a little bigger and purely point and shoot. Digital cameras are a good photography learning tool and you would do better with a camera like the S4 with full controls you can grow into IMO. It also has a lot more features. The Z4 has a great 2 inch LCD and is cheaper if you donít want anything other than P&S.

The Pentax 555 is pocketable unless you have tight jeans and is 5Mp with a 5X optical zoom. The 555 is a new model and evidently fixes some of the niggles 550 owners had. If I were buying a small camera today that is probably what I would get.

Iím a pixel nut. A 5Mp shot gives only 134PPI with the best crop I can get for a 13 X 19 print. And I seldom get by without some cropping which lowers the PPI. I see definite improvements up to 180PPI on my printer so 5Mp is limiting for me. You might not want large prints but your images are memories and you donít know what you will do with them 20 years from now.

All pocket cameras have optical finders that donít show the entire picture you will capture. The Canon S400 that was mentioned shows 82% of the shot in the viewfinder. So unless you frame the shot with the LCD you are framing about a 3.3Mp image. Not many people frame consistently with the LCD Ė you probably lose more in stability than you gain in pixels. The S400 is a nice little camera. The KD-510/G500 that was mentioned is also excellent.

The 750UZ is a great camera but as mentioned it wonít fit in your pocket unless you always wear pants with cargo pockets.

Donít pay any attention to the digital zoom capability. All that really matters is the optical zoom. I found a tiny leather belt pouch that perfectly fits my C50 and has a pocket in the front for the remote. This monthís Consumer Reports liked the C50, but it is dated. The Pentax 555 is the same size with 5X zoom. The Pentax S4 will fit in many cellphone belt pouches it is so small and many people carry it that way. A small belt pouch is superior to your pocket IMO. This is what I use:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 5:53 PM   #7

Ok...
I'm researching the Canon S400 and the Minolta DiMage G500... and Liked them.
Which one is better?
And I'm not sure about the memory cards... how many memory do I need? Which brand of memory is better?
Thanks to everybody who helped and to anyone who may answer my new questions =o)
Miwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:14 PM   #8

I am in same boat as you are and am also considering Canon A80 along with others mentioned here. I don't think you should overdo it with the megapixels. 3Mp makes a great 8x10, 4Mp can get you over 11x14 sized prints. More Mp also takes more computer HD memory. Is accurate color more important than other attributes? Sharpness? Other features? Movies?

Study all the reviews, Choose the Camera then "focus" on the memory -- size, best type etc. There is a whole research challenge associated with that.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 2:32 PM   #9

Default Canon s400 versus Minolta G500

Miwi,
You might also go over to www.dcresource.com and check his reviews of these 2 cameras and compare them. The G500 review should be posted on Oct 22. The s400 is already there.
I find that his website and Steve's digicams are the 2 best sources for camera reviews and comparing cameras. They both use different storage media so consider that too.
luvmywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 2:32 PM   #10

Default Canon s400 versus Minolta G500

Miwi,
You might also go over to www.dcresource.com and check his reviews of these 2 cameras and compare them. The G500 review should be posted on Oct 22. The s400 is already there.
I find that his website and Steve's digicams are the 2 best sources for camera reviews and comparing cameras. They both use different storage media so consider that too.
luvmywife is offline   Reply With Quote