Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:02 PM   #1

I have a strange question.

If I get my pentax 6x7 negs scanned at best quality onto a CD would the resultant quality of a 16 x 12 print taken from that scan be comparable to a good old fashioned print of the same size taken off the negative?

Would it have that 'digital' look to it with purple fringing etc or would it recreate a photographic negative image giving (what I consider) a more natural result?

Would the print result from the CD be as good as a digital image off say a Canon EOS 40?

thanks guys :-)
sawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:03 PM   #2

'Purple Fringing' is chromatic aberration from the lens. It just shows up that way because of the digital image sensor, but the source is the lens.

As with anything, the resolution of the scanned image will be the limiting factor on how large a print you can make. At some point, however, the resolution of the scanner can exceed the resolution of theoriginal 6x7 negative. The scanner will create an image using pixels oriented in a grid, to scan the image on a negative containing grains in a random pattern. The degree to which the randomness of the grains does not coorespond to the grid of pixels on the image sensor may determine how large a print you can make, unless you go really high.

Your best bet is to get the negs scanned by a professional service at the highest resolution they have available. At some point, the grains on the negative will, again, be the limit to how large you can go.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:15 PM   #3

yes, I was intending getting them professionally scanned. So you reckon the resulting prints could be very good? Would they be similar to a print off the neg?

Its just that I'm thinking I might be as well continuing to use my pentax 67 and wait a few years till digital camera prints actually get better than a print taken off a 6x7 neg.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

It very much depends on the film and the scanner.

The low-ISO low-grain films on a 6x7 neg can give a much higher resolution scan than a 40D, but even low-ISO films will show up with more grain than digital sensors. So the best case for a scanned 6x7 neg is much better than 40D quality.

A mid-range scanner with faster film will give lower resolution (a high res scan will add extra noise but no extra detail) and may end up being no better or even worse than a 40D.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:23 PM   #5

Tricky question.

Negatives have grain, but so does photographic paper. The fact that the grains on the negative do not exactly correspond to the grains on the paper means that there will always be a slight fuzzyness, at the microscopic level, to a photographic print. And each print will have a slightly different fuzzyness. So one kind of paper will work beeter for a particular negative than another. And at some level, each photographic print will be unique.

If you scan the negative, that's the image you will always have. If you don't like the result, you can play with it a little in post processing, but the underlying scan (the arrangement of the pixels) won't ever change.

Yes, I think the results will be very good.

No, I don't think they'll be better or worsethan film; they'll just be different.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:04 PM   #6

great replies.

thanks a lot.