Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:55 PM   #1

What are your opinions on using an adapter on an EOS body that would allow you to use Nikkor glass? I've read about cautions. How it could damage your camera. That you would not be able to AF on your EOS along with other functins. True? Is this not recommended?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:39 PM   #2
NHL

Would you rather be better off with a Nikon body???
-> A FF 5D mrkII needs good glass and you should get a Canon lens instead - It's like putting a blinder on a top line camera - I mean not just the AF or exposure but with most 'newer' Nikon lens without the aperture ring it's pretty of limited usage

I wouldn't put a 17-55 f/2.8 for example as it will also severely vignette on a FF... and a Nikkor 50mm doesn't make any sense as you can get a fully functional Canon 50mm for the same price as the adapter itself!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:23 PM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Would you rather be better off with a Nikon body???***
->* A FF 5D mrkII needs good glass and you should get a Canon lens instead - It's like putting a blinder on a top line camera - I mean not just the AF or exposure but with most 'newer' Nikon lens without the aperture ring it's pretty of limited usage

I wouldn't put a 17-55 f/2.8 for example as it will also severely vignette on a FF... and a Nikkor 50mm doesn't make any sense as you can get a fully functional Canon 50mm for the same price as the adapter itself!
Oh well. I guess if I do end up with the 5D Mk2 I'll be ponying up for a new set of lenses (Canon or third-party). Would be prepared to do so any way. Just wondered about using Nikkor glass on an EOS body as I've heard of other users doing this.

Having said that...if we're looking for third-party lenses for a FF body how can you tell which is designed for FF bodies? Basically any lens series that isn't specifically designed for DX bodies? (e.g. Sigma has the DC series). And as for Tokina..it looks like all their lenses but their 100mm Macro are DX lenses.

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:32 PM   #4
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Oh well. I guess if I do end up with the 5D Mk2 I'll be ponying up for a new set of lenses (Canon or third-party). Would be prepared to do so any way.
Welcome to the "Club" as I'm going on my 3rd path with the Sony... :-):G:lol:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote