Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:33 AM   #11

You would do better IMO with something like an Oly 750 than a Sony 717 for long tele shots. If you added a 2X telephoto adapter to the Sony to get similar reach the Oly would be faster and sharper – not to mention cheaper. Unless you are printing large photos the 4Mp is sufficient.

As eric s says, the IS won’t stabilize the movement of the players. Shoot a football game at 1/20 second and you will just have a blur for players. But the 12X at f2.8 with 4Mp is very appealing for what you are doing independent of the IS. And the IS is great for anything standing still.

What you really need of course is a DLSR with some good lenses, but that gets pricey.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:55 AM   #12

thats right you won't shoot a game at 1/20/s. also with a tcon on you won't be shooting 2.8 either. you put a tcon on and your going to lose up to 2 stops. on a dslr the converter tells the camera its there and resets the limit on my lens at wide open i can't select 2.8 but with my 1.4x. with the tcon you may think your at 2.8 but your not. you chose 2.8 but probably have closer 4.0-5.6. your diaphragm is wide open nowyou lose in shutter speed.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 11:42 AM   #13

when I Used the oly700 and the c-4000, most of the time i had between 1/100 and 1/80, ofcourse the exposure was set on -0.3 to get better pictures, when I had less then 1/80 i could do a nice panning pictures.

now that I think about it, I didn't used more then x7 zoom in the oly-700, i also though about buying the fuji5000, it has a gr8 zoom and it's got that top 5 thingy that could really help me to capture good moments...
dark-rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 7:58 PM   #14
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
thats right you won't shoot a game at 1/20/s. also with a tcon on you won't be shooting 2.8 either. you put a tcon on and your going to lose up to 2 stops. on a dslr the converter tells the camera its there and resets the limit on my lens at wide open i can't select 2.8 but with my 1.4x. with the tcon you may think your at 2.8 but your not. you chose 2.8 but probably have closer 4.0-5.6. your diaphragm is wide open nowyou lose in shutter speed.
I'm afraid I have to take exception to your second post that you lose two stops with a tcon. These two shots were taken from about 50 yards away, hand held at dusk on Aperture Priority with the aperture set to 5.6 to get the shutter speed as slow as possible. The EXIF indicates that there is 1 stop difference in this example.

Oly C-2100/full telephoto (F5.6 1/25)

Oly C-2100/full telephoto/TCON 1.7 (F5.6 1/20)

In program mode, taking both shots at F3.5 and 1/160sec, there was no difference at all.

Also, on the camera in question (C700), it is possible to shoot F2.8 using the TCON 1.7, but it is unlikely because of the limited zoom range without vignetting. The lens vignettes until about 1/2 to 2/3 of the full zoom range, over which you can shoot F2.8 using the TCON. At full zoom with or without the teleconverter, the maximum aperture is actually 3.5.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote