Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:59 PM   #1

I am an amateur (very) photographer, I am having trouble getting my pictures processed to match the color of my monitor. I was told that you can buy a product like spyder to use to calibrate my monitor, I see there are several different ones. I don't want to spend a lot of money, I have a large family and have always been the one behind the camera, so I do take a lot of pictures. Maybe someday I will take classes and learn more to get more advanced, but for now I am planning on staying with family. Please give me some advice on what to buy. I do have a new computer, a 22" widescrene 1680 X 1050 VGA and HDMI monitor. It is a vista program.
KSamateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:22 AM   #2

First, the human eye perceives reflected color (from a photo print) differently than it does transmitted color (from a monitor.) So it likely that you will always notice differences between the two, even after calibration.

Second, you can go through the tedious process of calibrating your monitor using an inexpensive system, or spend a lot of money on a system that will be easier to use, or you can use ICC color profiles.

If you can use an ICC color profile for your monitor when you edit (or just preview) your image, then the image you see on the screen will more closely resemble the image you see in the prints.

AND IT"S FREE!

See if the manufacturer has an ICC Color profile for your monitor, and install it. Once you've installed it, don't touch the monitor controls. (You wouldn't be able to ever adjust your monitor if you used one of the other methods either, so this isn't an impediment imposed by using the ICC profiles.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 3:01 PM   #3

Ok, that is good to know that I don't have to spend any money to do it; but I don't know much about changing setting. When I look at my ICC setting in Vista shows several different choices. There are some Photoshop (RGB), (5 default CMYK) for a couple, then there is Color match RGB, Adobe has a few (RGB 2.2 Gamma), others are sRGB IE61966 and others. Is there any one of them that is better then the other. I use a basic Canon Rebel XT, but i do also have a little better lens. 28-135 IS 72mm.

I am just starting out with a digital camera, when I learn the basics I will look at getting a better camera.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 5:11 PM   #4

The problem isn't with you camera; it's with your monitor.

What's the manufacturer and model number of your monitor?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:04 PM   #5

It is an HP w2007h I have had it since May; it is a 22" HDMI Widescreen.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6

I can't find any ICC profiles for an HP w2007h 22" widescreen monitor. If the monitor came with a CD, and you used it to install the monitor, you may already have an ICC color profile. If you haven't used the CD to install the monitor, maybe you could.

Either way, in Vista, right-click on the desktop and select 'Personalize' from the Context menu. From within the Personalization Window, open Display Settings. When the Display Settings dialog box appears, click on the Advanced Settings... button. From the Properties dialog box, click on the Color Management tab and then the Color Management... button. From there you can try different color profiles for your monitor. Select the one that best describes your monitor, or select the one that displays images such that they most closely resemble your printed images. You should also make sure that your printer uses an appropriatecolor profile.