Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:38 PM   #1

Default i need to move to a pro camera

ok ive been shooting students, some small weddings, small parties and such wint my Fuji Finepix 3800, i know that camera is not designed for those jobs, but the results are not that bad, the clients are happy with the results.

But i think i need to go to a PRO level camera, im going to stay digital, i cant afford a camera that to expensive, so i must stay with the most affaborable pro digital thats good for the job.

so can anyone recomend me such a camera? and explain why...

thanks in advance
milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2003, 6:27 PM   #2

Maybe Canon digital rebel /300D is too expensive. But is you consider such, you can start with the camera package deal and upgrade the glassware if you feel like ready to do so. Reason to go for dslr= hardly any shutterlag=better timed pictures, no delayed zoom buttons just turn the lens and go.
Next you might want to wait for Fuij S7000 and see what reviews will say about is. Also a 6mP camera, compact compared to dlsr and cheaper.

If that is still above your tea, than look for Fuji S601 exiting the shops, this camera is known for being trigger happy fast response and has a zoom ring instead of push buttons (coo\rrect me if I'm wrong here). All these cameras go upto iso 1600.

The real 6 mP cameras might be nice for you as they are good for A3 prints (large group photos). With any of these cameras also keep in mind the cost of a serious memory card.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 6:44 PM   #3

I subscribe to the newsletter from the NY Institute of Photography, and about a week or so ago, they sent out a special edition to everyone in which they warned people to not buy ANY digital cameras until maybe November because the word is that prices are going to drop drastically and will be doing so sometime before Christmas.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:00 PM   #4

Glad I already have my favorite camera to snap the hugh christmas ques in front of camera stores ;-p
(*duck*)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:21 PM   #5

For the price vs features/final product, I'd go with the Canon 300D. For $899 or with lens for $999 its a bargan by far. This is probably why you are seeing price drops on camera's everywhere in the last week or so... (Or I tend to believe)

If you got the spending money (Not sure what your range is) But Canon 10D or Nikon D100 would be a good investment. SLR is the way to go for sure if you want (Pro) stuff. SLR is your first leap into taking pictures like a pro. But they always say 85% Photographer 15% Camera...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:56 AM   #6

im thinking on using the money ill get for 2 upcoming weddings to get the camera, i think ill be around $1000,
milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
I subscribe to the newsletter from the NY Institute of Photography, and about a week or so ago, they sent out a special edition to everyone in which they warned people to not buy ANY digital cameras until maybe November because the word is that prices are going to drop drastically and will be doing so sometime before Christmas.
If you keep on putting off your purchase just because "prices are going to fall" then you would never buy a camera.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 8:28 AM   #8

Quote:
If you keep on putting off your purchase just because "prices are going to fall" then you would never buy a camera.
Normally, I'd agree since prices on cameras always drop when newer models are about to come out. However, in this case, the information had been taken from an inside source who indicated the price drops would be substantially more than usual.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:14 PM   #9

I have to agree...this "rumour" is being spread on many forums...it's just a few weeks away.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:30 AM   #10

Maybe certain companies are planning to reduce the prices of certain cameras (like Nikon reducing the D100 to $999 to scare Canon or something - we can only hope ), but it seems doubtful to me that there's going to be an industry wide price cut on every model :S
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote