Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:34 PM   #1

Aparently my camera doesn't like me anymore . For some reason when I try to transfer my pictures to the computer, ittells me that there are no pictures on the cf card .The images are in RAW format . Yet , I can review them on the lcd screen . When I connect the cable from the camera to the laptop the computer does reconize the xti , so I would think the cable is o.k. Anybody run into this ?

Thank You ,

Steve S
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:02 PM   #2
Administrator

What operating system (XP, Vista, etc.), and what software are you using to "transfer the pictures to my computer"?

Most Canon models are not USB Mass Storage Compliant, and depending on the drivers and operating system, the camera may not show up as a drive under "My Computer" so that you can simply copy and paste the files to the desired folder. Also, depending on the software being used for viewing the card's content, you may need Windows specific codecs installed to see raw files OK.

Have you tried just copying the files via a card reader?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:07 PM   #3

The operating system is Windows XP . The connecting cable is the one supplied with the Xti . The last time that I transfered images (two months ago) there were no problems .
No , I haven't tried using a card reader (I do have one)

But , Now I remember the last time the images were not saved in Raw format , I changed to RAW for post processing astrophotography images ...
Steve S

Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:25 PM   #4

Microsoft has a raw viewer utility which is made to be added on to XP, which will allow recognition of the raw files. I had downloaded it, but never installed it, as it doesn't work with Pentax raw files, but is made for Canon and Nikon. Try searching the MS website. Sorry I don't recall the exact name.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:18 PM   #5

I switched the format to RAW + JPEG , snapped one off . Upon connecting the camera to the computer it reconized one picture .

My external card reader does not support CF cards - figures ...

Curious as to why it will not reconize images only in RAW format , secondly how to get those loaded to the laptop . Wouldn't ya know cause I had gotten a most beautiful image of the Orion nebula at prime focus through an 18" aperature reflector at F:4.5 (that's a focal length of 2057 mm) , 81 inches for thoses w/o a calculator . Nothing like a 350 pound lens , eh .

Thanks Brian , I'll look for that utility program

Steve S
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:16 AM   #6

Windows XP Picture transfer program does not recognize RAW file format such as .CR2. That's why it is saying no pictures on the card. You can still manually copy the RAW files off the CF card to your computer using Windows Explorer (or Command Prompt if you're a command line type person). Microsoft has a RAW picture viewer you can download from microsoft.com. They'll want to verify you have a genuine Windows before it'll allow you to download.

You can also use the Canon software that came with the XTi transfer pictures off your camera through the USB cable.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:42 AM   #7

Steve S wrote:
Curious as to why it will not reconize images only in RAW format , secondly how to get those loaded to the laptop .

XP didn't come with the camera raw formats. Cameras generally come with software which does, and has the utilities for transferring from camera to computer. I don't use them, myself. As dr_spock mentioned, you can use windows explorer to do the transfer, since it doesn't need to know that they are picture files. With the camera connected, windows explorer should recognize the camera as a mass storage device, with a drive letter. Open it, and you will see the raw files, maybe in a subfolder. Using the explorer menu, you can choose to either copy or move (if you have faith in windows) the selected files to another folder on your laptop. I use the yymmdd method to keep things organized.

Another option would be a CF-SD adapter, allowing you to use SD cards in your camera, which would also (should) fit your laptop's reader.

That sounds like quite a lens. Not my idea of a walkaround, though. Do you have an observatory for it?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:49 AM   #8

Whatever application you're using to transfer images doesn't recognize your RAW files as images. But your camera is still just a card reader as far as the computer is concerned. If you connect the camera to the computer or remove the card from the camera and insert it into a card reader, the results should be the same; you should be able to open Windows Explorer and drag the imges from the card to your hard disk drive.

Somewhere along the line, when you connected your camera to your computer, you may have seen a dialog box where the computer asked you what you wanted to do when your camera was connected, and you chose the 'Copy pictures' option. Since the computer only recognizes certain file extensions as pictures (JPEG is one of them, but RAW isn't), and this time there were only RAW files, it didn't find any 'pictures'.

You can still browse the card using Windows Explorer (Start : All Programs : Accessories : Windows Explorer) to copy (or move) your RAW files to the computer. Of course, then, you're going to need a program to display and edit them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:08 AM   #9
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
But your camera is still just a card reader as far as the computer is concerned. If you connect the camera to the computer or remove the card from the camera and insert it into a card reader, the results should be the same; you should be able to open Windows Explorer and drag the imges from the card to your hard disk drive.
It's not that simple. This camera is not USB Mass Storage Compliant. It uses a WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) driver model and drag and drop support for raw files is not supported.

You can install and use Canon's EOS utility software to transfer raw files with it, or get a card reader.

You may be able to see them with some transfer utilities if you install Canon's Codecs for raw files, which will require that WIC (Windows Imaging Components) be installed first in XP. Here's the download page for the codecs:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=15206

WIC should already be installed if you have SP3 with XP. If you're on XP SP2, you can download WIC from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

But, rather than "jumping through hoops", the easiest solution would be to simply install Canon's EOS Utilities that came with the camera and use Canon's software to transfer your raw files if you don't have a card reader.

Of course, a card reader is easier still (since it's a USB Mass Storage Compliant Device and will show up as another drive under "My Computer").

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 5:31 PM   #10

Well , I retrieved the raw data with the EOS utility software . Now it's stuck there . Tried to import it with Photoshop - no luck . Tried to move the files to my favorites - no luck there either . Then today , the motor in the wife's car blew . I can probably post a picture of me pulling my hair out though. :sad:

Steve S