Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2008, 5:03 PM   #1

Hello All,

Another question that's been asked a 100 times. My wife and I just purchased the rights to our wedding photos about 900 in all. I wanted to get your input as to the best way to store them for long term, besides using a hard drive or DVD's. We plan on keeping them in our safe deposit which is quite small. I was thinking of a 4 gig flash drive, any comments or suggestions on the matter would be a great help.

Thanks,

Fotobugg:?

fotobugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2008, 5:15 PM   #2

There are obviously several ways, none of which are 100%permanent. Whichever you choose, be it disk, hard drive or even flash drive, I'd suggest you set yourself, somewhere or somehow, a reminder to check it every so often and, if storage technology changes, move it to something else while it can still be done or someday.... years from now, you or one ofyour family members might find themselves in the possession of media you can't do anything with.

In addition to what I do at home myself, if there are image files I want to safeguard as much as possible, I also load the full-sized files to my web page at Smugmug, where I pay an annual fee and have unlimited storage.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 6:47 PM   #3

Nothing lasts forever, but good DVDs are likely to outlast a flash drive.

There are lots of ways to back up. I recommend all of them. Do both. ... and whatever else you can think of.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:37 PM   #4
Super Moderator

For something so important I would go for a couple of options. I would probably put them on each of my hard drives (don't ask how manyhave) as well as a flash card and DVD kept somewhere...... all are so cheap just use them. Also how about some of these online hosting sites, just upload them all as well then you can access them from wherever.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 9:56 PM   #5

As I seem to recall, a flash drive will maintain its information for about 100,000 hours or so. Something over ten years, give or take. CDs/DVDs, if properly stored, somewhat longer. Hard drives, considerably longer.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I wouldn't worry too much about storage technology becoming obsolete within a decade. I can still use 5-1/4" floppys, and there are sources for copying digital tapes, and 8" floppy drives. For that matter, it is still relatively easy to have prints made from 100+ year old glass plate negatives.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Often, on news shows, people interviewed after some disaster or another destroys their home, inevitably say they most regret the loss of their photo albums, so it makes sense to distribute copies.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:22 AM   #6

Long term image storage?

Tattoos!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:02 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Long term image storage?

Tattoos!
I understand there's color fading issue although monochrome appears to last quite well:-)

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:26 AM   #8

The basic idea for keeping images is to have them on as many different media as possible in as many different locations as possible. Secure media and secure locations are best. Give copies of the DVDs/CDs to your friends and relatives to keep - may not be secure, but it does get them into different locations.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 9:41 PM   #9

huh? what do you mean you purchased "RIGHTS"? The photos themselves or just rights to view and show and print them? Do you mean copyright? Did the photog give you all originals or just copies?
Did you have a contract with the photog? How long ago was the wedding?

For storage use external HDD, and now bluRay is good as well.
Forget those flash cards.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:01 PM   #10

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
huh? what do you mean you purchased "RIGHTS"? The photos themselves or just rights to view and show and print them? Do you mean copyright? Did the photog give you all originals or just copies?
Did you have a contract with the photog? How long ago was the wedding?

For storage use external HDD, and now bluRay is good as well.
Forget those flash cards.
I doubt that TCAv, and I know that I wouldn't put the median life of an HD, external or otherwise at much beyond 5 yrs. That doesn't compare all that favorably with a flash drive.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote