Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:46 PM   #11

This is a good place to start. They have dealer ratings. Make sure to look at the number of ratings as well as the rating. Some sleazy dealers will service a few customers and then screw everyone until their ratings go down and they have to change their name and start again. http://www1.dealtime.com/xPP-Flash_Memory-xd~CR-1

I ordered a camera from someone like that. The early ratings were OK, but then they started charging credit cards and not shipping the merchandise. Sort of a no interest loan. The credit company removed the charge until they could get the money back, but merchants can evidently keep the money for 40 days.

New York State doesnít seem to police that very well. There are some very good merchants in NY but some pretty sleazy ones as well. The outfit I dealt with are no longer listed, but I would bet they are operating under a different name now. I buy almost everything from etailers and that was my only bad experience.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:48 PM   #12

Yes thanks for the links. I decided to purchase the 128 xD (I am broke already.. lol) and a Maha charger (as recommended by Steve) and 2200 NiMH batteries and a SanDisk xD card reader from NewEgg.com. All this was $122 + FREE shipping!! Wow! This is a place TO shop :lol:

I can't wait to get all of my stuff in and hopefully I won't have any returns. Oh yeah, and, so far, no foreign charges on my bank card (lets keep our fingers crossed..)

Bria
Bria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:40 PM   #13

I buy a lot of stuff from Newegg including my 256Mb xD card. But they donít have free shipping on everything and you can often beat their prices if you look around. They are 100% reliable.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 2:57 PM   #14

Bria

Newegg.com has always been very fair and quick with their shipments. Please post some pics when everything settles down.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 3:03 PM   #15

Will do! Also, to put in a good word for 17th Street Photo, they called me today because the phone number I gave them for the one that my bank has on file did not match the one that my bank actually had on file (this was due to the fact that I have recently moved and neglected to change it.. guess thats what happens when you assume..). Anyway, I thought that it spoke highly of them to properly investigate your credit card to protect you from fraud. I realize that its also probably required of them legally, but I can think of many instances where I know some e-tailers haven't checked out my credit card fully because I had things shipped to places that weren't on file with the bank, etc.

The real test will be when I recieve everything. Oh, and I purchased a UV filter from Filter2.com (The Filter Connection) thanks to a recommendation from another thread. They were also very helpful to deal with.

3 packages in the mail!! I will test my new camera out and take pictures of my new stuff (and post them, of course)

Thanks everyone!

Bria
Bria is offline   Reply With Quote