Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Places NOT to buy cameras online...

Here's a good place NOT to patronize : Broadway Photo (bwayphoto.com). I called them to order a Fuji S5000. Immediately the sales person asked for my credit card number. I asked a few questions and told him what I was looking for. He tried to get me to buy all kinds of accessories, all the while adjusting the prices because I was a "first time buyer." When it came to the part where I give my shipping and billing addresses, he stated that it was there policy to not ship to a different address than the billing address. That would be just fine, except for when I told him that I would just have to call back after I add my shipping address with my credit card company, he said "Have a nice day ma'am.. Thanks for WASTING my time." Needless to say, I don't mind paying the extra $20-$40 for good customer service. Its really quite pathetic. So, everyone avoid this place, and tell EVERYONE you know who is interested in buying a dig and saving a few bucks NOT to even waste their time.

Pheww.. ok just needed to vent.

Bria
Bria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:54 PM   #2

You were lucky it ended there...you should always check at sites like resellerratings.com to see if the store you want to buy at has any complaints. Here's the page for Broadway (rated 1.72/10):
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

Also read what PCWorld magazine has to say about Broadway:
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,107855,00.asp
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 4:22 PM   #3

Why am I always last to find out.. haha.. at least the order didn't go through.. Or at least it better not have. I mean, hopefully I didn't waste so much of his time that he decided to use my credit card anyway. I did give it to him because it was part of the order process. Can he still bill me if he doesn't have my billing address or shipping address (we never got that far)?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 4:56 PM   #4

Bria

I have had good luck at the following sites:

www.newegg.com
www.buydig.com
www.dell.com
www.fotoconnections.com

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:23 PM   #5

It is probably paranoia, but if you can check your credit balance over the web (i.e. more often than the once a month statement) I would do it at least once a week for a month. If they got the exparation date and the number I'd start to worry. I have no justification or special knowledge but it seem prudent and easy. (I'm a bit paranoid in these areas... but I also haven't been taken.)

I'd like to second the vote for newegg.com. I thought I'd also add that www.bhphoto.com is a very good store. They are the largest seller of photo and video equipment in the US. They have good prices and very good service. They have no need for the pressure upsell that many shady places do... they already make money hand over fist based on volume.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:30 PM   #6

Ditto on B&H - excellent prices, services and return service.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:14 PM   #7

Read about Broadway in PC World and I just can't believe the business they are doing. To me that's almost as plain as robbery in broad daylight! Somebody should slap those sales reps... :lol:
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bria
Can he still bill me if he doesn't have my billing address or shipping address (we never got that far)?
You might want to contact your credit card company and have them block any attempted charges from Broadway. If they already have charged your account, then file a dispute with your card company.

I also recommend B&H Photo. I have never used them personally, but I know that they are very respected in the photo/video world.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:46 AM   #9

I called my bank, the card I used is actually my Visa Check Card, and they decided the only thing I could do would be to cut it up and get another one. I guess I will just do this when all of the authorized charges go through. It really is amazing that these guys can get away with this stuff. Reading the opening of the PCWorld article reminds me of that movie "Rounders" with Matt Damon and Edward Norton, all of those shady New York hole-in-the-wall card games. I am sooo glad that I didn't order from them. I ended up ordering from 17th Street Photo which had a 10/10 rating on ResellerRatings.com and all bright green smiley faces on BizRate.com, for like, $15 more than the bad place no less.

Does anyone know who has really great prices on memory? That xD mem is expensive! And I guess its obvious that the prices don't have to be the cheapest on the web.. because it probably IS 'too good to be true'......

Bria
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:40 AM   #10

Newegg.com is where I bought my XD memory 256mb = $111 with free shipping, 512mb = $196 with free shipping, 128mb = $58 with $4 shipping. Newegg.com link is below:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...rchFor=olympus
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote