Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:10 PM   #1

Hi, I have to take photographs in a theatre of people againsta black velvet background. I will not have time to play around with settings and the press shot I will be taking will be immediately after a sho. I found in the past I have been overexposing caucasian faces due to the black drapes even with compensation. Is it best to use programme mode or something with spot metering as a default. Has anyone. I usea Canon 450d with kit lens, 18-55. Flash can be used for shots if required. All help appreciated.
bradaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:48 PM   #2

i would use spot metering and bounce the flash if possible.
ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:12 PM   #3

ecap wrote:
Quote:
i would use spot metering and bounce the flash if possible.
ecap
Yeah. That.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:27 PM   #4

Definitely use spot metering. Bounce flash would probably not work very well in a theater setting, as there are not usually white ceilings low enough. I would suggest instead, a flash diffuser. Of course, if you are in a setting where bounce is possible, it would likely be better.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 2:10 PM   #5

Thanks for that. V helpful. The ceiling in the theatre is black as are all the walls so bouncing is impossible. If i stick a diffuser on my flash does the camera automatically cope with metering?

I am presuming that there is no point in metering in manual or Av for ambient light as the background is black. This is what has me a bit confused.
bradaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:21 PM   #6

If you are using a flash unit which works automatically with your camera, metering shouldn't be a problem. The pre-flash allows the camera to set exposure, so it will compensate for any filters or diffusers on the flash.

Since you are mainly interested in getting the faces properly exposed, using spot metering on the faces will give you the exposure settings you need. Using manual settings will likely defeat the automatic exposure on the flash and you would need to do some experimenting to get the correct settings. Av mode should still allow auto flash exposure.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote