Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:03 PM   #21

GREAT thread, but I think one important point has been overlooked in this discussion. I have become a much better photographer since I switched to digital. I get instant feedback on what I did well and what I can do better, from exposure, shutter speed to compostion. Much to my astonishment, people are buying my fine arts prints made on a Epson 22000 (panoramics are doing especially well). I never approached that level of quality and creativity with film. Take a look - I bought a Canon Digital Rebel kit today with the money I've made - I'm a believer in digital.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:04 PM   #22

I didn't follow the link, but I've heard of digital backs for MF cameras. I believe they are linear scanning (they don't read the photosites on the sensor all at once) which makes them very impractical for many things. But what they do do.... wow.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:13 PM   #23

Default A good...

A detailed comparison article is here: http://luminous-landscape.com/review..._vs_film.shtml

Already pointed out above, but worth looking at...
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Dynamic range in film is the biggest difference. The best digitals get between 4-4.5 stops of light/shadow detail. Good print film can match that and slide film gets 5 (or maybe a little more.) I don't know what the best print and slide can do.
Hi Eric,

Actually, the "best" digitals get 12 stops....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 11:15 AM   #25

Definitely this is a good thread for people like me who have always played with the thought of comparing Digital vs. Film.

I've always been fascinated with cameras, ever since I got first sight of my father's camera (I'm not sure, but I think it was a CANON, with a foot long lens attached in the front), I investigated and I got hooked.

But never did I get to dive into it, even as a hobby, because of the expenses. Thankfully, technology has helped! Now I am able to partake in photography without ever worrying of other costs aside from when I want to print, which is not so often as I'm more web-inclined.

Just wanted to share!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 4:16 PM   #26

Ahh, Lin steps up. I was hoping you would.

What can capture 12 stops? MF digital backs? The good DSLR's get 4-4.5 I thought (I've heard claims of 5 from a Canon 1Ds, but I've heard others say that it isn't really there.)

Eric
Old Oct 17, 2003, 4:40 PM   #27

Hi Eric,

Yes the Dicomed, BetterLight, etc., scanning backs get 12 stops - better than film of any kind. Here's a couple links where you can get an idea of the capabilities.

http://www.sjphoto.com/View_Camera.html

http://www.peimag.com/pdf/pei01/pei0...terpei0201.pdf

http://www.sjphoto.com/

The 1DS actually does 7 - 8 stops. The problem is that people assume the LCD histogram which is divided into 5 increments is indicative of "stops" but this is a misunderstanding. Generally there are about 2.5 stops hidden in the shadows of captures, but quite capable of being revealed with levels and curves adjustments.

Consumer digicams average around 4.5-5 stops depending on the individual sensor.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 9:30 PM   #28

Lin,

Thanks for those link. I've read the first two already (as in, right now) and they are very interesting.

A 1Ds get 7-8 stops? Wow. Doesn't that rival some of the best 35mm film (I've never researched the best slide films, but some distant memory says they can't do that.) I am getting a new appreciation of the 1Ds. I wanted one before, but now there is an even better reason.

I was shooting in a cemetery a few weeks ago with my girlfriend. Just walking around and enjoying ourselves. She saw a scene that she liked, but its strength was in the large depth of view and huge light range.... We tried the picture any ways, but the 10D (and my skills) just couldn't do it justice. One of these days I'll have to learn how to merge bracketed exposures. Makes me wonder if the 1Ds could have captured it after all.

Eric