Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Hello,

There are so many models from Panasonic like FS,FZ,TZ...etc.

I would like to know what are their different. Is that the TZ is the highest end model.

And is that the TZ5 and TZ50 the different is just the Wi-fi

Thanks !

Guppies

P.s I am planning to get the TZ5 or TZ50. Is that a good choices ?

Or is there other brand I should take a look too.
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:09 PM   #2

guppies wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

There are so many models from Panasonic like FS,FZ,TZ...etc.

I would like to know what are their different. Is that the TZ is the highest end model.
Quote:
In terms of the users ability to control the camera via manual and semi-automatic modesand using features such as RAW, I would classify Panny models, from the top, as...
Quote:
1. LX series. Prior to this year, I would have said the FZ50, butthat is no longer a current model. The LX3 series has the best QUALITYlens (not talking zoomrange here)and usercontrol combination. This is a pretty specialized camera due to the limited zoom range and price. People who buy this camera know what they are getting and want it. For many others, the zoom range and pricemakes it a hard option to consider.
Quote:
It should also be said here, I'm not evenconsidering the G1 in this discussion because it doesn't seem to me to be a camera people would consider when looking at these other lines. If you do consider it, it should go to the top of thislist.
Quote:
2. FZ series. The FZ28 is outstanding in both user control and ability to use RAW, but the optical quality, while high for this type zoom, is not ashigh qualityas the LX series. For many, if not most users, I would consider the FZ28 as a best choice in terms of both size and user controlability...if you want that kind of control.
Quote:
3. TZ- Outstanding zoom and great, small size, with several user options to affect the ultimate results, but with many manual controls missing. If you like adjusting parameters such as sharpening, noise reduction, etc., etc. separately, this is not the camera for you. It's a great point & shoot camera, with a limited possibility to control the results, but not as much as the above models.
Quote:
4. Everything else.

And is that the TZ5 and TZ50 the different is just the Wi-fi
Quote:
That would be correct about the TZ5 compared to the TZ50.

Thanks !

Guppies

P.s I am planning to get the TZ5 or TZ50. Is that a good choices ?
Quote:
There's tons of others to consider. Canon's Digital Elph and "A"series for two, but there are several others I'm not even going to try and list here....I know I'll miss one someone else likes.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:43 PM   #3

Thanks you Greg,

I will look into it. I have a d40 with kid len + 55-200 mm vr and I looking for a point and shoot for my holiday also. Just in case my family member can use it. I think I will go for a TZ5. Since I know there are some many out there and very hard to pick.

I see a review somewhere saying Panasonic ranking pretty high for point and shoot. So I start looking at it.

Thanks again for your respone.

Guppies
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:36 PM   #4

I have a TZ5 and I think it is a good choice for a small travel camera. It has an excellent Leica designed lens and the 28 -280 zoom range is pretty versatile. The LCD is exceptional and the burst is pretty good for that level of camera. The HD movies are good and you can use optical zoom with the movies. Stabilization works well.

I do have some quibbles but they probably don't apply to most users.

I like to take panoramas with all the settings like WB and exposure fixed. There is software that will try to even out exposures and WB, but they take a long time to process and the results aren't always as good as taking it right to begin with. The TZ5 does not have a panorama mode or manual controls. I've gotten around that with other P&S cameras by using the continuous mode, which fixes the settings with the first shot with most cameras. Not so with the TZ5. It uses separate exposure and WB for every shot in a burst. The 28mm wide helps obviate the need for panoramas, and you can always use advanced software to stitch them.

Shooting kids and candids of people in dynamic situations is hard without a DSLR. A continuous focus mode that continues to update the focus while you hold a half-press helps a lot. With a camera that does that you have almost instant response when you see the shot you want. Panasonic is one of the few brands that fixes the focus with a half-press even with continuous focus on. All you need know about the TZ5 CF is to keep it turned off – it will mess up the movies if you forget to turn it off and it does little else to make up for the extra battery use.

The Venus engine takes out barrel distortion and pincussion. PTLens says to not bother using their software or any other distortion correction for that camera. I guess that is good. It saves me running an action with PTLens like I do with other cameras.

The TZ5 will fit in a pocket but it isn't as small as cameras like the FX series. I've always carried my small cameras in a little belt pouch rather than in a pocket.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote