Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:48 PM   #1

I recently upgraded to a Nikon D300 from the D200. I had been using a SanDisk Extreme III 2.0GB card with little or no problems. The salesman in the camera store (who BTW is a professional photographer) suggested that I use a card from a different manufacturer. He said that there has been an ongoing problem with SanDisk memory cards where up to approximately 7% of the pictures taken somehow just don't make it onto the card. At first I thought it was a stunt just to sell me a larger card, but then I thought about it, and every so often, I would take a photo and what would show up on the card, was a blank, black exposure for that numbered photo. I always thought that it must be something that I was doing wrong, but maybe not. I wound up purchasing a ProMaster 4.0GB CF card. I must say that in over 800 pictures, the only time there was an exposure issue was when I didn't give the flash (Nikon SB800) time to recycle after taking an outdoor photo at some distance away. Even then, I got an underexposed picture, not a blank. Can anyone give me any info as to whether or not this problem is real, imagined or was I just scammed??? Thanks in advance for any input.:?
JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:20 PM   #2

I've never heard anything like that before.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:16 AM   #3

The card certainly would never affect exposure. Sometimes there can be card errors, or write errors that may cause problems, but that is in my experience rare. As long as you are formatting the card in camera prior to each use, it should never happen. I've never had a card failure in 7 years of digital shooting.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:58 AM   #4

Sounds to me like the salesman may be getting a commission on a card from a different manufacture. I've never had a problem with SanDisk either.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:35 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I've never had an issue, I've exclusively used Sandisk Extreme III cards with no issue at sporting events, weddings, portrait shoots etc.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:37 AM   #6

I use Sandisk Extreme III and Ultra II for the last 4 years and I've never lost an image. Not saying the guy is lying but I've never encountered the problem - and actually this is the first I've heard it suggested.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:53 AM   #7

I'd be really careful during my future dealings with this guy, if I were you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:58 PM   #8

I believe the ploy adopted by some retailers or salespeople to 'push' a manufacturer's product at the expense of another's is called "spiffing".
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:05 PM   #9

Almar wrote:
Quote:
I believe the ploy adopted by some retailers or salespeople to 'push' a manufacturer's product at the expense of another's is called "spiffing".
A "spiff" is an extra commission, or dollar amount an associate receives for selling a specific product. Many times this is paid by the vendor. Legitimate vendors and retailers will not badmouth one product to sell another to get the spiff.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:33 PM   #10
Super Moderator

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
A "spiff" is an extra commission, or dollar amount an associate receives for selling a specific product. Many times this is paid by the vendor. Legitimate vendors and retailers will not badmouth one product to sell another to get the spiff.
I've worked in the sales world for a long time and most people in this world are 'coin driven' I used to work in a store where I could triple my wadge by selling the right PC over another. Now where this wouldn't make a difference to a customer sure I would sell it but there were some sales people who would sell it no matter what just to make extra cash.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote