Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:37 AM   #1
Administrator

It looks like Circuit City has filed for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11. Here's one article about it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...amp;refer=home

So, you might be able to find some good deals there soon in some areas, as they are planning on closing a number of store locations from what I can see from the articles about it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:19 PM   #2

Probably not immediately, and probably not with any new or hot merchandise. The good stuff has probably not been sent to these stores for a while now. Initial discounts will be 5-10% off electronics and will probably progress slowly up through christmas. This won't be the end of their problems, although they've managed to get financing to get them through the holiday season. It is worth checking out, as deals don't happen every day.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:55 PM   #3

Well this is the third time Circuit City has gone under or been bought out. So I'm betting they will come through it again, then again I have been wrong from time to time, as my wife will tell you.:P:G
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:00 PM   #4

My local circuit cityis closign and theyare selling everything at least 10% offand their last delivery was just days before they filed chapter 11 and store clousers. They have almost everything you'd expect in a circuit city since they were well stocked up till just days before when they got their last delivery. They had about 15 models of cameras, lenses, memory cards etc. But for what I was looking for newegg had them beat even with discounts on some stuff and Adorma had them beat on the rest.

They calaim this store will close at the end of the month and everything will be sold higher discounts as the month goes on., They claim their goal is to sell everything in that store at the store and not ship anything back to the warehouse.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:33 PM   #5

The stores that are closing were soldto aliquidation company prior to the chapter 11 filing andare out of the control of CC.

The liquidation company (Gordon Brothers is one of the liquidation companies to purchase CC stores) has a solid, well earned reputation for moving product from one liquidation site to another. Anything worth a few $ will never actually see the big discount % if G-Bcan help it, rather the item will be boxed up and shipped to a G-B warehouse to be held until G-B liquidates another store.

Legally G-B can combine inventory from one store or company with another store or company as G-B has purchased the products and the right to use the facilities (including the business name) for a period of time. In addition G-B can legally purchase additional stock from the manufacturers so as to assist in the selling of product (i.e. buying lenses to combine with camera bodies). That right to additional product allows G-B to seeminly never run out of inventory. Of course if G-B does run out of inventory, they can always call back to their warehouse and bring in a truck load of refrigerators, truck tires or anything else they would like to sell at that particular liquidation sale.

Personally I only buy the mistakes made by G-B, and trust me they will make mistakes, such as selling a Sony Zeisslens as a standard kit lens or confusing a 1TB HD with a 100GB HD. Those kind of mistakes can and will happen when non-technical people are handling products or when disgruntled ex-CC or whomever employees are pricing products on the last day of their employment.

I can't wait until G-B is liquidating a CC near me. Of course I am not stupid and will only buy stuff in sealed boxes that have been grossly mispriced.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:55 AM   #6

Stevie is correct. Alot of times, you will see prices raised to msrp on products that are selling below this price..the initial discount often doesn't put the price below it's original price. The other issue to worry about is returns. All sales are final in liquidations, so if you do get a defective item, your only recourse will be with the manufacturer. When I went through a liquidation with a previous company, there were customers who purchased items in empty boxes (DVD's or Video games...the boxes were empty likely due to theft) and weren't able to get any money back. Because of this, I would never buy a display or open box item from a company in liquidation.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:17 PM   #7

Another important thing to remember is avoid the herds.

Herds? Yes, just like cattle grazing the fields, the grass is always greener some place else, and the herd will follow a single cow on the way to the new field just inspect the grass.

Ignore the herds. Herds and herd followers are not the brightest folk in the world. Do your own thing and havea specific purpose to your visit.

Oh, and having preset price objectives never hurt either.

Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:25 PM   #8

Interesting and worthy info about how this stuff works from StevieDgpt.

Just before the bankruptcy announcement, it was announced the local store was closing. I was not shocked, because the inventory and selection had been decreasing for several months. The local paper said the store would close for one day and then reopen with everything marked down. I visited on the re-open day to check out the big savings. Computers were marked down 5%, digicams 10%, and DVDs 15%.

Big harry deal! Didn't take me long to look.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:56 PM   #9

At my local circuit city as of today and the liauidation sale started last Friday so it been going on for 8 days DVD are 20% off, computers are 10% off, cameras are between 15 and 20% off depwending if you by an accessory for the camera.

I went last Sunday to look at the Sony A200 and buy one if it was at a good price. Both bhphotovideo and Admora had them beat (I did my homewrk before I went) on the body+ lens kit and newegg had them beat on battery and memory card prices.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:47 PM   #10

So wait them out. You already know the price from B&H.

You might even know how many units are left in stock. 10 left in stock and the discount is 20% and matches B&H price... you wait.

Discount increases to 25% and beats B&H's price.... maybe you jump. But if there are still 10 left in stock why not wait until the discount hits 30% or even 35% and just cream the 'net price?

BUT.... I know G-B is not going to keep dumping down the price on something valuable, easy to pack up and ship to another store, and could be sold through another venue. This means you are never going to see a big enough reduction in the price to super Nutz-O over. In fact you might not see the price drop much below the 'net prices as G-B most likely has 'net outlets they could sell the product at normal 'netprices.

This said, G-B does make mistakes. More so the staff working for G-B. And there are heavy products and low cost products,wherethe 'net price because of shipping costs seldom is a good price and G-B doesn't want to waste their time or energy to pack the item up to move it to another store. Those are the things I just go Nutz-O over. One such item is copy paper. Another item might be keyboards. For us the dumped items might be camera bags, el cheapo tripods, photo printers etc.