Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:55 AM   #1

Default How common are hot/stuck pixels?

Hi,

I bought a new digital cam (canon S400) and found a hot pixel appearing in every single picture I take in the same spot in the upper left hand corner. A couple people are saying that it's a defect and it's uncommon for new cameras to have hot pixels and that I should return it. However, I'm also hearing alot of people saying that they have hot/dead/stuck pixels in their new Canon digital cams. I bought it from Newegg, and they seem a little reluctant to RMA it for simply a hot/stuck pixel in the CCD. So what's the real deal? How common is it to have a hot/stuck/dead pixel in a new digital camera and would your RMA it if you had one?

-Lemur 6
13mur 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:11 AM   #2
kex

I'd return the cam.
It's like buying a car and it already has scratches.

It mustn't happen, that a new cam has hot pixels.
So if it's still in guarantee, return the cam and get a new one.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 2:54 PM   #3

Depends on the camera, if your camera has a mapping feature you can map out the bad pixels...it's like hard drives, they always have bad sectors; in the old days there would be a list of bad sectors on the drive itself but these days the map is hidden in the memory of the drive (so people now think hard drives are perfect). Neither your hard drive nor CCD in the camera is perfect, just has the bad pixels mapped out.

I suggest reading this site, http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...xel_facts.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:06 PM   #4

Mine has a blue stuck pixel that only shows up in dark pictures taken with the digital zoom to the maximum or close to the maximum. Since it doesn't show on pictures that do not use digital zoom (vast majority of them) I don't even bother dealing with it. If the pixel does show, it is something that I can easily fix in my PC before printing.

I noticed this for the first time very shortly after I purchased the camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:37 PM   #5

If your new camera is showing a defect you call hot pixels on normal bright scenes at 100-200ASA then I wouldn't think they are 'hot'.

Why not try the tech. support people but email a pic shot at 640X480 unedited with its EXIF data intact and see what response you get? Mapping out is used and the bad pixel map just gets re-programmed in the camera firmware. But don't treat this as a solution since you are still accepting non active pixels! They will have zones where the mapping is acceptable and you won't notice (edges/corners) but centre zone and 2/3rds around this will be very noticeable for any defect.

The comparison with a hardrive is not fair in practise since your manufactured drive surface can be larger than the specified usable capacity. You wouldn't be happy with a stuck byte anywhere on the active HD surface, so treat the CCD in the same way and aim for minimum masked pixels. But then you don't know how many were there to begin with! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:03 AM   #6

Err... I'm taking pics on ISO50, and I can't manually adjust the shutter speed, etc, but they're definately less than a second. All my pics are the max resolution of the camera (2272 x 1704).

I can pretty much find this pixel in every single shot I've taken (minus the ones where the background is white in the area where the bad pixel is located). To give you a sense of how obvious this pixel is, I can see this pixel on the LCD screen when I zoom into the area of the picture where the bad pixel is, and the pixel shows up well before the maximum zoom of 10x. Funny thing is, it changes colors on the LCD when I zoom in, seems to rotate from blue to red to yellow and back around till I hit near max zoom and it stays white.

I think I'd rather have 4 hottish pixels that only show on low light shots that this pin prick pixel I have. I think I'll go play around with longer exposures and higher ISO's to see just how bad it is before
I decide to call Newegg to send me a replacement.

Thanks for that website BTW, helped a ton. By the author's judgement, I've got a pretty BAD camera.

-Lemur 6
13mur 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 4:21 PM   #7

In that case I'd agree with sending it back. Although the conclusion is the same, I did read somewhere that a faulty buffer memory location can produce a 'hard error' as well. Just out of curiosity, what happens if you shoot the same shot at each of the lower resolution settings? Sorry but it seems this is a bad cam. You know the lcd has very limited resolution, so anything that shows on there, even zoomed is pretty bad. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 8:18 PM   #8

Default hot or stuck pixels

Just this thought. You might wait until other defects show, you may actually have a really good camera in other respects. Get them taken care of all at once. i.e. wait until the last day then send it out. If this is just a few days anyway, then it won't matter. I Don't know what your return policy is right now. Or, wait until close to the end of the Canon warranty and deal with it then. But I can understand doing it now, if the dot is visible in every shot. Don F
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:07 PM   #9

Hmm, Canon does inspect thier cameras on quality when they leave the factory. If you get a camera with hot.dead pixel slipped through control, than what else could have passed their attention?

I think Canon will also advice you to swapp it for another.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote