Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2003, 1:53 PM   #1
MBL

Default Need help with visualizing different zoom levels

I have intention to buy digital camera but I have trouble to see differences between different zoom levels ( 3x, 4x, etc. ) I tried to figure this out by myself but Iīm not sure if I got it right. English is my second language but Iīll try my best to explane this

So if I have camera that has 6x zoom and I take 1000x1000 sized shot at full wide angle. Now if I take shot at full tele, the result will be 167x167 area from middle of the wide shot?
Maybe picture would help. Outer white square is 1x, black square is 6x and white square inside is 12x.

Then if compare 28mm to 35mm similar way --> 28mm = 1000x1000 and 35mm = 800x800?
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:04 PM   #2

There are already threads on this here, but the basics you have to realize is that the X-zoom is ONLY a ratio between the widest angle and the closest telephoto. Focal length is measured in mm, and using the 35mm film equivalent is best so all the cameras have a level playing field (so not to compare apples with bananas).

Both a 28-84mm and a 40-120mm lens are 3x zoom lenses and can't be compared (the first gives you a wider angle at the lower end, while the second gives you more telephoto). The human eye's focal length is considered to be 50mm.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 4:14 AM   #3
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
There are already threads on this here, but the basics you have to realize is that the X-zoom is ONLY a ratio between the widest angle and the closest telephoto. Focal length is measured in mm, and using the 35mm film equivalent is best so all the cameras have a level playing field (so not to compare apples with bananas).
I think you didnīt understand what I meant ( and I didnīt write this clearly ops: ) If I take shot with same camera at 1x and at 6x or 12x, then the pic that I made would be correct, right?
I search for this kind of discussion but I only found one and it didnīt answer this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Both a 28-84mm and a 40-120mm lens are 3x zoom lenses and can't be compared (the first gives you a wider angle at the lower end, while the second gives you more telephoto). The human eye's focal length is considered to be 50mm.
After I read other threads, I got impression that 28mm is different with different manufacturers, but I might be mistaken because half of my brain seems to be frozen at the moment

Does anybody have a link to site that would give me exact mathematical formulas to convert between different measurement like FOV -> focal lenght etc. ?
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote