Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2003, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Ultra-compacts???

Any suggestions for a good ultra-compact in the 3MP range? I'm looking for something pretty small... about the size of an Altoids tin.
Thanks!
turbokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2003, 7:51 PM   #2

Casio, Pentax, and Sony make small cameras.

Konica and Kodak make small ones too but personally I don't like them.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:57 PM   #3

Don't forget Canon's PowerShot line, some are quite small (called IXUS in other countries).
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 11:48 PM   #4

The Pentax S4 will actually fit inside an Altoids tin. The Casio Z4 has the same Pentax 3X zoom lens but is slightly larger. The Casio has a terrific large LCD for the size of the camera but is basically point and shoot where the S4 has full controls and lots of nice features like full manual exposure, manual focus, long exposure noise reduction, time lapse video, alarm clock, panorama assist etc. They claim the included rechargable battery will take 500 shots with the LCD on and 50% flash. Nifty little camera.

I would go to a good camera store and play with some of them. You might find something else you fall in love with.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:32 AM   #5

I second the trying out the cameras in a store. Also I found that a camera that's Altoid's tin small is a little too small for me (Optio S4). The Canon SD10 is supposed to be super small (not flat though), runs about $350 right now. You might actually find something bigger more to your liking (I really like the sizes of the S400/S230/SD100/etc).

Also, I have this thing against anything that's not Compact Flash. I've had a bad run in with static electricity and SD cards . But I once washed a CF card in my jeans pocket, AND had it go through the dryer, and it came out fine (lucky it was only the small 32MB card that came with the camera).

-Lemur 6
13mur 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 11:10 AM   #6

Once you get into really small cameras the size of the CF cards become a factor. I also prefer CF but I think about the smallest zoom camera with it is the Canon S400. Go much smaller than that in a camera with an optical zoom and they are pretty much going to have SD or xD cards, which are much smaller than CF. Donít consider anything without an optical zoom Ė digital zoom is useless.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:11 PM   #7

I have used the SD100, and thought it was spectacular. The new Canon SD10 will not have an optical zoom, which concerns me greatly (being a fan of zooms).

The Pentax Optio S and S4 take high quality photos, but I found the interface uncomfortable. I agree with Steve in his reviews, stating that the positioning of the Power button is poorly thought out.

The Canon S400 is a great camera, and is still very small, however; we're talking about 4MP now.

Another small digital that I've always liked is the Olympus Stylus 300. It is a very small camera (technically not grouped with the ultra-compacts) that provides excellent performance.

Those are just my thoughts....
KenKosowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 1:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Donít consider anything without an optical zoom Ė digital zoom is useless.
I agree - I have disabled digital zoom on my casio QV-R40 - its a total waste of time, whether casio's digital zoom is particularly useless or not I don't know.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphuk100
Quote:
Don’t consider anything without an optical zoom – digital zoom is useless.
I agree - I have disabled digital zoom on my casio QV-R40 - its a total waste of time, whether casio's digital zoom is particularly useless or not I don't know.

i was usin casios QV-R4 , even it had the same problem , but there is a mark on the zoom meter on the lower part of the lcd screen , which shows wen ya usin optical or digital zoom
for usin the zoom , even the optical , ya gotto on the digital zoom . i hope this is useful for ya .
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 6:48 PM   #10

Thanks for all your input.
My girlfriend found some of them too small so we upsized to a Canon SD100 w/256MB SD card.
Seems pretty sturdy and it gets good reviews as far as image quality goes.
Thanks again.
turbokitty is offline   Reply With Quote