Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:32 AM   #1

Default Taking photos of Discos, Pubs, and Bars.

Hello!

I have recently purchased an Olympus C-740 UZ, and am already quite familiar with how it works and the quality of the photos that it can provide, although I feel like I may be missing out on something, generally taking photos under low light conditions.

I go to a lot of shows where bands play at venues with poor lighting conditions, and I was wondering maybe some of you people have taken photos under these situations, and what settings have been very helpful for a good photo. Also, most of the bands play heavy music, and thus, movements are too quick to capture sometimes.

The C-740UZ can handle up to ISO400, and up to a 16sec. exposure in Manual mode.

Thanks in advance!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2003, 2:38 PM   #2

I've been using a C-730 for the past year. You might try using a monopod when possible to steady the camera or bracing your shooting arm against a door way. I've also had some success shooting in the sports setting under low light. The Oly 5050 , from what I've read on line, would probably be a better low light camera for the scenario you are describing. I 've heard of people who buy both for different shooting conditions. Iwas thinking of this myself but decided to buy an SLR (Canon Rebel 300) instead. I hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:01 PM   #3

Thanks!

Although purchasing another camera would be quite unrealistic for me, as I wouldn't have the resources (yet) to do so. I will try the sport setting as you said, although I hope it doesn't come out too dark!

I hope there are others who are into the same thing as me.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:11 PM   #4

Darkthrone you could do a bit of experimenting at home. Let something swing and try the sports mode. When using flash with that mode, the subject may become sharp bur background too dark (=exit ambience mood). Anyhow best is not too flash, if you have to use it, cover it with rolling paper or even heavier to prevent flash blitz.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 7:49 AM   #5

I've got a Fuji 3800 and a Sony U10. I attempted to take photos at a formal dance thing held in a basketball stadium. The Fuji was awful! Blurred dark photos; on every setting I could think of. Naturally the flash was useless in such a room. However.. the Sony took great photos!

I worked out later that the Fuji is fixed at ISO100, whereas the Sony was going up to ISO320. It made such a huge difference. So my recommendation for taking low light photos is to jack up the ISO setting.
lord_ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:52 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the tips! I think the ISO settings of the Olympus (which is up to 400) should be very useful for me. Also, the best teacher would be experience, and I would have to be doing more of these low light shots in that case, which means more reasons to got to shows!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:01 AM   #7

Moving people are best shot with shuterspeed 1/125 or shorter. You have to find out what becomes best in your photos. Blurr of dancing crowd or performing band can be usefull to depict the motion.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 4:58 PM   #8

Default font type

Darkthrone, can you tell me what font you used in your signature tag at the bottom of your mssg, the one that says Nuclear Gulaman Project and your camera name? I like that font. What is the name of it if you don't mind.

Thanks
sir_snaps-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 5:52 PM   #9

MathildeUP
I think I wouldn't want too much blur, as it wouldn't make out the band member's faces but let's see, you're right, sometimes blurred can make the photo a good one.

sir_snaps-a-lot
The font's name is Microgamma, I used BOLD in my signature. I think it's a great font.