Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:07 PM   #1

I've been comparing these two cameras SX10 vs SX110...

if I understand correctly the focal length & digital zoom are multipliers that work togeher to create your ability to zoom in on something, like a distance target... the 2 cameras list as follows for focal length....

SX10 - 5.0-100mm f/2.8-5.7 ... 28-560mm 35mm equivalent

SX110 - 6.0-60mm f/2.8-4.3 ... 36-360mm 35mm equivalent

Now, I'm smart enough to know the 560 is bigger than 360... but does it literally interpret that the 200mm more results in 35% more ability to zoom in on something... or 35% more distance in ability to zoom?

And my 2nd newbie question is what kind of distance is 360mm? I know your average compact is usually 135mm at the high end.... and someone in another post of mine mentioned your average compact restriced you to about 50 feet from your subject... so would a 360mm high end be about a range of 150 feet from your target? Yes/no/kinda?

If there's another thread addressing this somewhere please reference it... I'm sure this is a common question. Thanks.

Rob
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:16 PM   #2

Go here:

http://www.tamron.de/Focal_Length_Co....html?&L=2

Drag the slider under the picture to 360...then to 500. that will give you an idea.

The 50 feet referred to a usable image. You can take a picture of the moon at 28mm, and it will look like a little dot on your pic. Similarly, you can take a pic of a sparrow on top of a 80 foot tree at 135mm, and nobody will notice the bird.

No.

No.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:51 PM   #3

ok, thanks again :-)
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote