Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:57 PM   #1

Default Does Casio QV-R40 have adjustable shutter speeds?

In the specs, the shutter speed is listed as automatic. Is it possible to adjust it manually though? I want to get the cool shots of rivers with a long shutter so it looks like it's "flowing."

Thanks.
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:19 PM   #2

From Casio{

“CCD electronic shutter / mechanical shutter; Shutter Speed: 1 / 8 to 1 / 2,000 second (normal); 1 to 1 / 2,000 second (night); 2 seconds fixed (fireworks); Shutter speed changes with recording mode and ISO sensitivity setting.”

It is clear that there is no manual shutter and you can go to two seconds only in the fireworks setting. Casio’s are basically point and shoot.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:15 PM   #3

You can't manually adjust the shutter speeds, but you can select pre-made scenes which will automatically adjust the camera for your different modes.

After you have selected a best shot mode (e.g fireworks for long shutter) you can tweak it a bit so it works for daytime shots, for example get rid of the magenta filter that is used for fireworks.

It is basically a point and shoot camera.
Quintessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
It is clear that there is no manual shutter and you can go to two seconds only in the fireworks setting. Casio’s are basically point and shoot.
I would agree that casio's are mainly for amateur photographer's but I would not agree that they are mainly point and click. I bought a QV-R40 as a first digital cam, and after a year or so one that I can keep for snapshots. Should I want to I can adjust EV shift, white balance, ISO speed, focus metering, filter, sharpness, saturation, contrast and various other things. Admittedly the manual shutter speed would also be nice but as I said, it was a first digital cam and I am very pleased with the results from it.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:13 PM   #5

and casio's best shot mode is very good - I thought it would be a gimmick but I have been very impressed with it so far.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:21 AM   #6

Quote:
bought a QV-R40 as a first digital cam, and after a year or so one that I can keep for snapshots.
How were you able to get your hands on a QV-R40 a year ago?
I thought it was a new release.[/code]
Quintessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 8:18 AM   #7

Sorry, I mean, I bought it recently for a first digital cam and after a year or so I will upgrade and keep it as a snapshot cam. It is a new model, I got it pretty much as soon as it came out in the UK about a month ago.