Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 18, 2003, 5:00 AM   #1

Default Steve's "Best of the Best" list?

I've been doing so much research over the web on digicams (gearing up for my first) that I could just be lost but it seems to me that I saw a list of Steve's "top recommended cameras" somewhere on this site. Am I lost? If not, would someone please point me in the right direction?! I've been going around in circles on this site for quite a while now!

Thanks!
Becky
Becky0669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2003, 6:07 AM   #2

You will find it under the breaking news link:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...tml#bestof2003
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 6:18 AM   #3

I wished the statement, "Listed in no particular order of preference" was in a bold heading above the choices...I was ready to start yelling when I saw the list, until I read the descriptive paragraph...people could think that they are in order if they ignore the paragraph.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 6:48 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I guess I've not gone completely off the deep end!
Old Oct 18, 2003, 4:02 PM   #5

The list is quite out of date. Some of the models listed have been replaced twice already by more capable cameras. For example he lists the Minolta D7i which was replaced by the D7Hi and now by the current A1.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 5:32 PM   #6

That's a good point. For instance right now PCWorld list the best camera under $500 is the Olympus C-740 and the best over $500 is the Olympus C-750...but these cameras (right now) are a little behind some others in terms of some features. Because the time the article was written and the time to the publishing date is so long, the list is already out of date.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:02 AM   #7
Administrator

The Best of 2003 list is not "out of date" because there are newer models. The cameras on the list represent the best bang for the buck in available cameras - the latest and greatest are often more expensive than 'older' models.

We are updating the list since it was posted before many of the SARS-delayed cameras began arriving.

And for those looking for the list, we keep it listed on the Breaking News page just above the latest news item. There's also a link there for the PMA 2003 Report and our Sunday Morning Photographer colums.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 8:28 AM   #8

Quote:
The list is quite out of date. Some of the models listed have been replaced twice already by more capable cameras. For example he lists the Minolta D7i which was replaced by the D7Hi and now by the current A1.
Quote:
The Best of 2003 list is not "out of date" because there are newer models. The cameras on the list represent the best bang for the buck in available cameras - the latest and greatest are often more expensive than 'older' models.
The Minolta D7Hi is a newer version of the D7i with a larger buffer for fast raw shooting and superfine JPG among other improvements. I know of nothing the D7i does better than the Hi. The best price I can currently find for the 7i is $750 delivered with the 7Hi $50 cheaper because there are more available. Explain the logic of the 7i being better bang for the buck.

If you go for reliable resellers the A1 is only about $130 more than the D7Hi and only about $80 more than the D7i. You must not think too much of IS, Adobe RGB, faster response, better processing etc.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:13 PM   #9

How soon is the list going to be updated?
toothpaste100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 6:36 PM   #10

I'm amazed anyone at all could possibly keep up with the latest and greatest unless it was their full time job! I'm not concerned about the newest thing that's come out (in fact I wish they'd slow it down!) so much as getting someone's opinion of camera's who has a lot of expertise in that area. In fact, I think I'd be hesitant to run out and buy something so new that people haven't had enough time to really get to know it's pro's and con's.

This is only just a suggestion - how about moving this list to the "Camera Review" portion of the site? It's buried deep enough within an area that an ignoramous such as myself would never think to find it - or even imagine something like it might exist on this site. I kept looking for some secret "port hole" within the review section!

It's a subject worthy of it's own heading when people first arrive at the main page, no? Or even in an area people (at least people like myself) might expect to find something like it (like in the review section which *is* on the main page).