Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:33 PM   #1

When I shoot photos of the steep terrain I'm riding my ATV up, they don't looks steep. When I post on line, show freiends, they all say, that isn't steep and the photo doesn't do the hills justice. I've seen some photos/videos where a person is going up a steep hill and it looks very steep. What angles or how to frame a shot to capture steep terrain either from the bottom looking up, top looking down, and 1/2 way up the hill? Thanks for any tips.

serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:09 PM   #2

Trees always grow straight up. Try to include some trees in the frame. You could even tilt the camera so that it was level.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:01 PM   #3

If you have an option of where to stand, top, middle, bottom, what is best? I.e. shooting up/down/across?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:14 PM   #4

serpa4 wrote:
Quote:
... I've seen some photos/videos where a person is going up a steep hill and it looks very steep. ...
Post a couple of those photos or give links to them and folks will have a better chance to say something useful. They could be unaltered and depend on the angle/position/focal length/.. they were taken at or they could be photoshopped.

Assuming they are not photoshopped (likely if in a magazine), spend some time studying them any try to figure out how they were done. Pehaps they are simply tilted and that might show in the angle of the trees - on average trees are vertical, though on a hillside there is a slight tendency to lean slightly down hill.

Were they taken low from behind or high from the side? Were they taken with a long or short lens? Lots of background or just a detail? ....
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:56 PM   #5

Don't shoot up or down hill. Try to keep the camera level as possible, and use a wide enough angle lens to show a lot of the slope. Trees, and especially power poles are useful to show how how steep the slope is.

This example leave out the very near foreground.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the info and picture. I'd post a picture, but am deployed right now and don't have my picture collection with me. The video that is good at showing a steep slope is on YouTube which is block by the government computer I'm using. I'll try those techniques when I get back as the desert doesn't have any mountains here to photograph.

I googled the website and used the "cached" function on Googleand found this which I think is it since my comment is posted on it. I cannot view the video though.