Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:03 PM   #1

Default Quality Pictures Uploaded Live as You Take Them?

Since many cell phone camera now have the function to e-mail the picture or have it posted live on the Internet when taken, do you think we will start seeing the ability to have pictures uploaded via your Nikon (or other) camera? Personally, this would be very good for our business. We cover shows and if we could have the images uploaded on the Internet as they are taken... wow!
SirSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:27 PM   #2

oh i have no doubt that it will happen if compression and power properties get better. the basic issue is bandwidth. there is none in cell phones in addition to low power. and then theres that additional charge on your bill that they will set for high bandwidth usage.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:21 AM   #3

I think this is very possible, and possibly, cameras will be using some sort of technology like Bluetooth at first to send data to another device, say a CamPhone like a Nokia3650 (which I have, has Bluetooth) and from the camera, to the phone, then to the internet!

Great idea, but I think it would add at least $100 to the price tag of anything it applies to.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 3:18 AM   #4

Unfortunately camera makers aren't educated on the benefits of Bluetooth yet. At the camera show I did see a few Palms in booths so I asked them if you could beam to the Palms, and they said stuff like, "why would you want to do that for? The Palm has our pricing information so we like to keep it handy...that's why it's in the display case."

The downside of cameras right now is they have no option of protecting them with a password...it would be at least nice if you can encode your name and a password for recovering after theft (say your name is encoded into the Exif info for each picture).

As for the original question, on many cameras it is possible if you don't mind being tethered to a USB question...some remote control software can immediately download pictures to the computer.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:29 AM   #5

bluetooth is a technology that is fairly limited in scope. from a tech stand point its hype is more powerful then the actual product itself. cost to benefit ratio isn't there. overpriced wireless keyboards and mice a very overpriced and bulky wireless cell headsets don't bode well. range limits too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 2:16 PM   #6
Administrator

Default Re: Quality Pictures Uploaded Live as You Take Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSteve
Since many cell phone camera now have the function to e-mail the picture or have it posted live on the Internet when taken, do you think we will start seeing the ability to have pictures uploaded via your Nikon (or other) camera? Personally, this would be very good for our business. We cover shows and if we could have the images uploaded on the Internet as they are taken... wow!
It's a bandwidth issue. Look at the quality of the photos from camera phones -- awful -- some new models (like Sprint's Sanyo SCP-8100) aren't even 640x480, and use very high JPEG Compression.

Since some of these plans (like my Sprint Free and Clear America Plan) include unlimited internet access and e-mail from the phone, the infrastructure costs to allow larger file sizes from higher resolution photos would be prohibitive to the wireless companies.

BTW, the new Nikon D2H will have Wireless (802.11b) capabilities using an optional transmitter, allowing to act as an FTP client (for transmitting images to a nearby server).

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond2h/

The base price of this camera should be around $3,500 (USD) -- body only, no lenses. I don't know the price of the optional Wireless Transmitter yet.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 2:29 PM   #7

Thanks for that link! This is very cool!
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:05 PM   #8
Administrator

Actually, you could rig something up pretty easily.

Sprint has a wireless card for laptops that allows internet access via their wireless network. You could get one of these (with their service), using the smallest laptop you can find.

Then, buy a camera like the Canon G5, with it's remote capture software (attached to the laptop via USB).

Then, write a quick program to check in a directory for new images, and if they are there, upload them to a site of your choice via the wireless service from the laptop.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:22 PM   #9

I know about that... the problem is, they want $199.99 for the card, a 2 year contract AND then you pay by the MB. $100 a month for 300MB. Ridiculous.

Oh, and I just bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:31 PM   #10
Administrator

Yep -- looks like they changed it (I just took a peak at the latest plans).

For a while, it was $75.00/month for unlimited usage. They probably got smart, after users started abusing it. They were probably losing money on it.

BTW, my plan includes Unlimited Vision to a phone, and I have a USB Cable and Software that allows connecting a PC or laptop to the phone.

However, I've been told that they reserve the right to terminate service for anyone that abuses the service (via tethered devices attached to the phone). But, they were actively promoting doing this when I purchased my plan. Apparently, too much bandwidth was being used, so they've stopped offering the software and selling the USB Cables for the phones.

But, 3rd party software is still available for most Vision Phones (SnapSync and Snapdialer Software is available with or without the cables for attaching your PC to many of the Sprint Vision compatible phones). Even Radio Shack stocks the software and cables.