Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2003, 2:11 AM   #1

Default First Digital Camera (Yes another one of these)

I am having trouble choosing between several camera models for general usage. I really only need the camera for high quality pictures that I can use for school projects or to send to my friends, so 2 megapixels should suite me fine (though 3 would be just fine ). Price is definetly an issue as I am both Canadian and a student.

-HP Photosmart 635 (Good price, quality seems good, review on this site looks great but I am not so sure if I should go with HP instead of more traditional photography based corporations like Canon or Fuji)

-Sony DSC-P32 (3.2 megapixel, good looking specs, NO OPTICAL ZOOM!, good review but more expensive than other prospects)

-Fuji Finepix 2650 (good price, well rounded, good review, seems reliable)

-Kodak Easyshare CX6230 (good price, very well rounded, VERY little info anywhere, first choice right now)

-Canon Powershot A300 (price has fallen, 3.2 megapixels, seems very reliable, I like Canon's quality, low light focus illuminator, no optical zoom, older model)

Kodak CX4230 (its reviewed and rated pretty well on this site :P )

Fuji Finepix A205 (looks to be very good quality, review seems good, my second choice so far)

If anyone could contribute or help me decide I'd be very grateful
toothpaste100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2003, 3:14 AM   #2

If 2 mp would work, then what about the canon a60? It is a great 2mp camera with tons of manual features (but it can be used as point and shoot as well), great picture quality and a superb feature set. As to you concerns over buying from hp rather than a traditional camera company, I would not be too worried since the most important camer component is the lense and hp uses lenses manufactured by other camera companies.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:05 AM   #3

Kodak makes decent cameras. My only problem with the 6230 is that it comes with disposable AA batteries and you are going to have to buy a charger and rechargeable batteries to make the camera practical. Also plan on having to buy a memory card for anything you get. You can get by with a 64Mb card in a 2Mp camera, but the included cards are always too small. The SD cards in the Kodak arenít bad but the best choice is CF for performance and low price.

I agree the Canon A60 is a better camera for the price as it is something you can grow into. One of the advantages of digital photography is that it is a great learning tool. Unfortunately it also will require you to purchase a separate battery charger and rechargeable batteries. It has the advantage of CF cards.

If you want just point and shoot the Fuji 2650 is nice but you have to not only buy charger and batteries you also have to pay more for an xD card than you would for a comparable CF. Even so the price is low enough you might come out ahead.

I donít see much to recommend the HP. You have to buy batteries and charger as well as SD cards which are pricier than CF. It has a dinky little LCD compared to the Fuji and even fewer settings.

I wouldnít consider anything without an optical zoom.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:01 PM   #4

I like the A60 but it is a little out of my price range and I don't really like all the batteries.
With the Kodac CX6230 I can get a 64 mb SD and save about $70 ontop of that.
Unforunately I missed a recent sale of a A40 which would have been absolutely perfect.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:10 PM   #5

In the US the A60 is only $10 more than the CX6230, and the CF card will save about that over the SD. For about the same final cost the A60 is the better camera. Evidently there is a big price difference in Canada, which would make a difference.

It seems the controls arenít a factor for you. If you donít plan on progressing beyond aiming the camera and taking what it gives you it makes no difference.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:23 PM   #6

Does anybody have any experience with the CX6230 because I can't really find any reviews or experiences for it.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 3:23 PM   #7

bump (only 1, I swear)
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:50 PM   #8
Administrator

See my response to your query at dpreview.com

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6415819

Good Luck!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:31 PM   #9

I have a change at getting a Canon Powershot A40 refurbished for 249.99 Canadian, its a pretty limited offer for both the camera and the price, so I might take this but I'll have to decide soon before they run out of stock.

I have got it down to the Sony DSC-P32 or Canon Powershot A40, these cameras are probably a little better well known by you camera savy people so I was wondering if you could give me some quick opinions.

I have a bit of a pro/con thing going,

Sony:
pro-3.2 megapixels
con-expensive pricetag
con-no optical zoom
pro-excellent movie mode
pro-very good ISO rating
con-very expensive memory
pro-2 NiMH batteries included
pro-battery charger included
pro-I trust Sony quality and have experiece with their products
pro-Looks like it will stay ahead technology wise for a larger time than the Canon

With an appropriate memory card (128mb), this camera will cost $390 (though I could settle for 64 mb easily if this camera saves efficiently).

Canon:
pro-cheap compact flash memory
pro-optical zoom
con-2.1 megapixels
pro-cheaper pricetag
con-4 aa batteries required
con-poor movied mode

With an appropriate memory card (128mb) and recharble batteries and charger, this camera will cost $400.

In the end they come down to about the same price.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:43 PM   #10
Administrator

Personally, if I were in your shoes, out of those two cameras, I'd go with the Canon.

Optical zoom (with the ability to take add-on lenses and filters with an adapter), decent image quality within it's class, CF Cards (cheaper than Memory Stick), better white balance, etc .

I have not been impressed with the smaller Sony models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote