Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:10 PM   #1

Hi i have a samsung gx1l, it was all i could and can afford and was a great little dslr , however the internal flash has now stopped working, it focuses and uses the flash to focus in low light but when it comes to taking the picture it just doesnt go off.

can someone please help, i love my camera and photography and cant really afford to have it fixed or buy a new one? is there anything i can do? :?
danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:22 PM   #2

If the flash fires for low-light focus assist, the flash is most likely working. Check your settings to determine if you are in a mode which supports flash.

If you have set the camera to Tv mode with a shutter speed too high, the flash will not fire. There may also be other causes. Check you manual on how to reset the camera to factory defaults and try again.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3

I have the same problem. Flash will not discharge. Sometimes the battery indicator drains all the way down so I tried different batteries. Same problem. I noticed it seems to be stuck in "Tv" mode. I did reset to factory settings, same problem. Perfect right at Christmas time and like Danni can't afford a new camera or repair bill
h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:02 PM   #4

Hi

I have tried suggested ideas but the flash still wont discharge. Does anyone know if this can be fixed, I really need my camera especially over christmas my daughter has just turned one and i have a seven week old. my photos at moment are from my mobile but as you can imagine they're awful in comparisson.

please please help i'm at hammer point
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:02 PM   #5

danni,

As long as the cam focuses, why don't you buy an external flash for your hot shoe? Probably a lot cheaper than getting the internal flash fixed, or buying a new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:06 PM   #6

Hi

Im sorry. I'm really not a tech with cameras i just love taking photos but unfortunately dont know a lot about them.

Do you possibly know where i could get hold of a cheap external flash that is compatible withthis camera (gx1l)?

thanks
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:50 PM   #7

Not sure what you consider cheap, but if you want total compatibility and stay with the Samsung brand, the recommended flash is the Samsung SEF-36PZF, which will probably run you around $200. They have a newer model, the SEF-54PZF, which runs around $250. Or, you can use the Pentax version (same exact flash) AF360FGZ, which you can buy at Adorama for $165. Or, you can opt for one of the better made aftermarket flashes, like the Sigma EF-530 DG ST, which you can also buy at Adorama for $145.

Or, you can take your chances with a much cheaper generic flash, and maybe lose automatic functions, sync, etc. I don't know that much about the aftermarket flashes to know whether they would be compatible with your camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:55 PM   #8

ok thanks for your help.

I really should have stuck with my manual slr , so much easier and didnt go wrong in 15yrs. gutted. I have only had this 18 months and already its given me more problems than its worth but then again taken some really wonderful shots too.

I lost the receipt and the guarantee in my house move so cant even get the manuffacturers warranty to sort it. am so so gutted.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:15 AM   #9

Danni,

I took my GX-1L to the shop it has to be sent out for repair. They told me it will cost from 150-$275 and about 6 weeks. Its sounds like your having the same problem as me. 1 thing you could try, but it didn't work for me, take your memory card out and take off your lense turn camera on and "snap" a shot . Put lense on and memory back in and see if it did anything. I was told that Canon has something weird like this happen to it and that fix's it. Like I said didn't work for me. I am going to save up and get a new Camera. Thinking about Pentax K200D or Samsung GX-10. Although I cant find anyone selling the Samsung. At least I can still use my lenses with those camera's. Sorry Danni... I feel your pain. Loved my GX-1L too and now here it Christmas and no camera and no money :sad:
h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:15 AM   #10

hi

thanks for replying to my post. will try your sggestion. ebay do have the samsung gx10 .... ctually may've been the gx20, not entirely sure. digital are great but film were so much more robust, well, the old ones anyway. dont think i'll stay with samsung, have had major probs with other samsung stuff too. may migrate to nikon. was gonna try pentax. not sure though as i was told that samsung cameras are basically pentax cameras. ???????