Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1

Hello, I am new to this siteand would greatly appreciate assistance. We currently have a digital p & s camera that is about 5 years old. I hate it b/c it has such a slow shutter speed. We have 2 small children, and when they smile and I try to take their picture, by the time the picture takes, they are not smiling. I am looking for a camera that has a quick shutter speed with a flash. I care about picture quality, but my main concern is finding a camera that does not have a delay and quickly captures images.

Thanks!

Laura
cincifans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:01 AM   #2

cincifans wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I am new to this siteand would greatly appreciate assistance. We currently have a digital p & s camera that is about 5 years old. I hate it b/c it has such a slow shutter speed. We have 2 small children, and when they smile and I try to take their picture, by the time the picture takes, they are not smiling. I am looking for a camera that has a quick shutter speed with a flash. I care about picture quality, but my main concern is finding a camera that does not have a delay and quickly captures images.

Thanks!

Laura
Technically, what you're describing is shutter lag, not the shutter speed. Shutter lag is the time it takes to trip the shutter after you press the shutter release.

Older cameras like yours (and mine!) -- especially p & s cameras -- don't have the high-powered electronics of newer cameras that have much lower lag times.

When you press the shutter release, the camera has to do a lot of things before it actually trips the shutter: Things like determining focus, exposure, white balance, charging the flash, displaying the current scene on the lcd, etc. Newer cameras with bigger, faster processors and better autofocus motors have reduced shutter lag significantly.

Really, almost anything that you buy today will perform better than a five-year-old p & s! I suggest thinking of a few additional features that you might want in a new camera and posting in the "What Camera Should I Buy?" section. You can also google on some generalized terms like "digital p&s minimal shutter lag", or some such.

In the mean time, you might be able to get your current camera to respond a bit faster by using a fixed focus -- if the camera allows this. Use manual focus or the focus lock feature and set your focus to the approximate distance that you plan to be from your subject when taking a few shots. Try to use the smallest aperture (largest f/number) that you can under the prevailing light. That will give you the best depth of field and maximize the chances of getting a well-focused shot. By fixing the focus you are freeing the camera from perhaps the single biggest job it has to do before it trips the shutter, thus allowing it to reduce shutter lag time.

With little kids this is not a good solution, but it might get you a few good pix that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 5:12 PM   #3

Grant,

This information is very helpful! thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I will try your suggestions.

thanks again,

Laura
cincifans is offline   Reply With Quote