Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:44 AM   #1

Hello! New here...

I just purchased the Canon Powershot SD 990 IS. It is taking at maximum 6MB photos. I wanted to attempt taking larger size photos for zooming in, enlarging photos, and getting as much detail as possible.

Does anyone know how I can get the camera (or a camera) to utilize all the megapixels that come with it? (this one comes with 14.7 megapixels obviously). The website here has 8MB pics... what's the maximum size 'effectively' that can be taken!

Thanks!
mas000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:06 AM   #2

mas000 wrote:
Quote:
Hello! New here...

I just purchased the Canon Powershot SD 990 IS. It is taking at maximum 6MB photos. I wanted to attempt taking larger size photos for zooming in, enlarging photos, and getting as much detail as possible.

Does anyone know how I can get the camera (or a camera) to utilize all the megapixels that come with it? (this one comes with 14.7 megapixels obviously). The website here has 8MB pics... what's the maximum size 'effectively' that can be taken!

Thanks!
If you are shooting at full resolution with the lowest compression, you are squeezing everything out of the camera. I don't know what exact language Canon uses in its menu to denote this. It's usually something like, "Full Size, Best Quality".

If I understand the rest of your question, it sounds like you are confusing megapixels with megabytes. The fact that the camera's saved file size on your computer is showing up as 6 megabytes (MB) has little to do with the camera's effective pixel count. Many people seem to get these terms confused.

Look in your owners manual and you'll probably find a section dealing with picture size options. Shooting at the full size (14.7 megapixels) option, there should be a number of quality settings available. The lower the quality setting the higher the JPEG compression used and the lower the file size (in megabytes) will be and the more pictures you can get on the memory card. The higher the quality setting, the lower the compression used and the larger the file size, giving you less pictures that can be stored on the memory card.

If you want to verify that you are, in fact, getting all of the pixels that you paid for in your shots, look in the same area of your manual that describes the picture size options. There should be exact pixel dimensions given for each of the available picture sizes that you can choose. Note the pixel dimensions for full-size (14.7MP) and then look at the saved picture files on your computer. You may be able to just sit the mouse pointer on one of the files to get a little descriptive pop-up that tells you the file name, the file size and the pixel dimensions. If the dimensions match what the manual says that you should be getting, then case closed.

You might have to highlight an image file in the computer to get a good description, or even right-click a file and choose properties. However you have to do it, the pixel dimensions can be identified.

If this camera offers a RAW file option, then, for sure you are taking the highest size/quality pix that the camera is capable of. Shooting RAW has its disadvantages, though. Read up on the subject if you can shoot RAW. RAW gives you the best captures and would serve you well in your pursuit of larger size photos.

Don't be a stranger!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:42 AM   #3

If you set the Recording Pixels ( page 68 in the User Guide) to L ( Large: 4,416 x 3,312 ), and the Image Quality ( also page 68 ) to S ( Superfine ), you will get all the detail the SD990IS has to offer.

But I think you might be confusing the resolution of the image with the size of the file. The camera takes 14 megapixel images and, in the process of converting them to the JPEG image fileformat,compresses them down so they fit into a 6 megabyte file. All JPEG images are compressed to some degree, but by selecting an Image Quality of S (Superfine), your images are being compressed as little as the SD990IS is capable of, preserving as much detail as possible. The 6 megabyte file size is not an indication of the resolution of the image, just a measure of the size of the file used to store your 14 megapixel image.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:44 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you. You are both right. I did some more reading on the matter and all of this makes sense now. I was shooting at highest res, Large, and SuperFine which looked great by the way.

I even read that there is a little "canon firmware hack" somewhere that allows for raw shooting and more manual manipulation of pictures and movies. I'll keep digging. I remember I had that firmware hack for my old 750 IS and it worked fine. I just have to find the website again.

mas000 is offline   Reply With Quote