Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:20 AM   #1

Default sony vs casio vs canon

i was interested in sony's dsc-p72 , p8 , p92 , p10 and casio's qv-r4 , ex-z4 and canons a70 . i dont care bout the price , size , mp or zoom , etc..... my main concern is IMAGE QUALITY ----- i mainly need the camera for indoor (low light and other things like that) use and sometimes for outdoor(rarely) . so which one do ya'll suggest gives a better IMAGE QUALITY .
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:14 AM   #2

Quote:
i dont care bout the price , size , mp or zoom , etc..... my main concern is IMAGE QUALITY
Of the things you mention mp (I assume you mean megapixels) is definitely a factor in image quality. I also assume that with image quality you do not mean the composing capabilities of the camera (If you do consider that part of the image quality then also optical zoom IS a factor).

As I do not have experience with any of the mentioned cams I will just restrict myself to these observations. However I do suggest you look into the reviews posted on www.dpreview.com as these will get into the image quality aspects quite thoroughly. The sony's have not been reviewed by dpreview. The Canon is there, though. The Casio EX-Z4 has not been reviewed (yet) but dpreview has some info on it, and there is an extensive review of the EX-Z3 (and if MP is not important, it is basically the same cam, note though the comment that Phil Askey made on that).

Steve's site (this one) carries more reviews (the sony's are covered for instance) but these go into less detail with regard to image quality.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:37 AM   #3

now there is another camera in my list . it is the pentax optio 450 .

soo which on do ya'll suggest has a better image quality . by image quality i mean no purple fringin and all , the image should be sharp
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:02 AM   #4

ppl pls give some feedbacks , i need to buy a digicam soon , soo ur suggestions would be helpful for me
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:01 AM   #5

Out of everything out there, I got lucky in purchasing an Olympus C-740UZ for only adding $10 more to the price of a Canon A70. Maybe you might get a similar deal there, somewhere. :roll:
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:29 AM   #6
Administrator

None of the cameras you are looking at are going to be very good low light (indoor) performers, because of the smaller apertures and weaker flashes on subcompact models.

For better low light performance, you may want to go with a camera with a much wider aperture.

For example: a camera like the Sony DSC-F717 has an aperture rated at F2.0 at wide angle, and F2.4 at full zoom (the lower the F Stop Number, the wider the aperture, so more light can reach the sensor through the lens).

Most Subcompact models have a maximum aperture of around F2.8 at full wide angle. F2.0 is twice as bright as F2.8

So, to get better low light performance, most cameras must increase the ISO Speed (CCD Sensitivity) indoors, which also increases noise.

You will also want to look at the flash range of the models you are considering. Some are much better than others (another downside of a subcompact model camera, is that indoor use is limited, because of their relatively weak flashes, compared to larger models. Flashes are rated at both full wide angle, and at full zoom (because far less light can reach the lens through the sensor when using zoom). You can see the flash range, by looking at the specifications for each model.

Without looking, if memory serves, the A70 probably has the strongest flash out of the models you are looking at (check the specs to make sure).

But, I still consider it to be a relatively poor low light performer (compared to a larger camera, with a wider aperture).

Other models to consider would be the slightly larger Canon G3. It's F2.0 aperture at wide angle, is twice as bright as F2.8. It also allows you to use an external flash -- which could be very nice in larger rooms -- birthday parties, family gatherings, etc.

Some Olympus Models (C-4040z, C-5050z) also have much brighter lenses (F1.8/F2.6).

Personally, I'd avoid the smaller Sonys (others may have a different opinion). I found the indoor performance of the P10 to be severely lacking (indoor focus and metering inconsistencies) -- despite it's focus assist lamp (I purchased and returned one in July).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 10:54 AM   #7

ya that all i know , but im leanin forward for a compact camera as it can be carried easily anwhere and hence i wanted to know which one of the above cameras give a better IMAGE QUALITY .
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:00 PM   #8
Administrator

In that case, consider the new Minolta DiMAGE G500 (a.k.a., Konica KD-510z).

Check out my responses in this thread, including links comparing it to a Canon EOS-10D:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6452523
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 1:00 PM   #9

ppl plz five me some suggestions . only from the cameras i hae listed above
need some help as i wanna buy a digicam as soo as possible