Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:42 AM   #1

Default Scanning Matte Finish Photos

Since I didn't see another area to pupt this post in, I hope no one will mind it here.
My question is this, has any one had any success scanning photos with a matte finish? Whenever I scan them they come out looking terribly pixelated. I'm scanning them on and HP scanner @ 300dpi, the standard setting I use for pictures but they look horrible. ON the other hand, glossy photos look quite good. Anyone have any ideas as to what could improve the picture quality?

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:36 AM   #2

Get a magnifier and look at the resolution of the prints. My guess is that the matte is printed at a lower resolution Ė it usually is if you use the printerís paper settings. Not much you can do if that is he case. I doubt you would get any better scan going above 300PPI.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:05 PM   #3

Default Yup -

Slipe is right (IMHO) I have had exactly the same experience.

Sorry bout that- but no sense trying to recapture what isn't there in the first place.

Good Luck
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 2:43 PM   #4

Do you mean matte photo's in general are printed at a lower res at the lab or in the home enviorment? These are film camera prints from a photo lab that I'm talking about, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Sorry if that's thae case. HP themselves recommends trying to scan them @ 600dpi but, that seems excessivve to me.

Mark
Old Oct 21, 2003, 7:41 PM   #5

This is a good read: http://www.scantips.com/basics08.html Go to the next page where he runs some scanning tests on a shot taken with a fixed focal length Nikon on a tripod and canít improve on a 300PPI scan. You are spinning your wheels over 300PPI.

I have no idea why the matte prints from a photofinisher would be of lower resolution. Back when I had a darkroom the only difference between the finishes was that you dried the gloss on a shiny plate to get the finish. Are you sure both were originally taken with the same film? There is a big difference between ISO800 and ISO100 film.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:51 PM   #6

Thanks slipe, that's a good little read and a good site and, I understand what it's saying. Basically, you can't make something, something it's not! Too bad you can't though! LOL

Mark