Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Who can help with this challenge ?

I have been reading through so many messages to find an answer but everytime I see someone ask for an opinion on the Kodak 6230, there never seems to be a reply. I guess this is because nobody here has used that particular camera.

I, like a lot of the other first time buyers here have been reading info and reviews to the point of confusion. I guess as I am not a big photographer, there is only so much I understand and would love some help trying to work out which is the better camera.... the Kodak Easyshare 6230 or the Kodak Easyshare 4230.

From my novice point of view, they appear to be very similar but I think the 6230 offers more flexibility. If this is the case I would think it would be more expensive than the 4230. However, where i live, they are very competetive in price, depending on the store as to which is cheapest. Therefore, I feel there is something I am missing, What does the 4230 offer that the 6230 doesn't and vice versa.

As you all understand the features and specifications better than myself and may have found better resources for your info, I would really love and appreciate your more knowlegable and unbiased opinions and you might just provide the answer the others were looking for too.

Now the really big ask is...... this is fairly urgent as I may miss out on a good deal (not too good to be true, but good )

Thanking you in advance
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:31 PM   #2

Well from what I can see 6230 is lighter, has a smaller lcd monitor by .1 inch, 6230 has a burst mode, 6230 has a video mode (with audio for that matter) and 6230 has larger digital zoom (I KNOW DIGITAL ZOOM SUCKS, I am merely stating that it does).
toothpaste100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:38 PM   #3
Administrator

Since this camera is so new, I don't think anyone has reviewed it yet.

However, you can look at some photos taken by typical users of a camera at a photo sharing web site like pbase.com

Here's their camera database:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Here are some user album photos from the Kodak CX4230:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/kodak/cx4230
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:43 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S. - also see my response to this query at dpreview.com

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6415819

Good Luck!
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply Toothpaste.

Yes, those are some of the more noticable differences, along with modes for color, sepia, B&W, auto, closeup, night and landscape which I couldn't find on offer with the 4230, which is why I can't understand why in some shops the 4230 is more expensive. I wonder if there may be some things that the 4230 offers over the 6230 that I have missed.

Many thanks
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:09 PM   #6

Thankyou Jim, I appreciate your reply.

In your response at dpreview, you mentioned many things that can make a difference between models. Many of those things you mentioned are the hidden differences, that someone like you might understand when reading a camera's features and specs, that I don't fully understand. All I see is the general marketing features such as how many megapixels, how much zoon, digital or optical, movie mode etc. Those kind of differences I understand, not the aperture, ISO speeds, battery life, low light focus capability, flash strength, light gathering capability, startup times, shot to shot times, focus lag, shutter lag, shutter speed etc. I have taken a few pics on a couple of occasions with borrowed digital cams and wow, I sure did notice the difference in how long it took to actually take the pic. The first occasion wasn't too bad, but the next time, with a different camera was unbearable, I never got a pic of what I wanted as it took so long but I dont know by reading the info what is good and what is bad as far as speeds go. Which is why I am asking for someone with your knowlege, if they have the time to look them up, if they can tell me what they think.

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:20 PM   #7
Administrator

I have seen no reviews of the CX6230 yet, so you may want to try one out in a store to see what you think of it's performance.

Yes -- some of the items I mentioned vary dramatically between models.

Only two reviewers (that I'm aware of) actually measure a lot of these items (startup times, autofocus lag, shutter lag, cycle time, low light focus capability, etc.):

Dave Etchells at http://www.imaging-resource.com (see the "picky details" section of cameras he reviews)

and

Phil Askey at http://www.dpreview.com (see the "timing and file sizes" section of cameras he reviews.

However, I have noticed that some of the more recent reviews here at steves-digicams.com do mention some of these times in the review's conclusion section.

Low Light Focus is another matter entirely. This varies a LOT between models. Some cameras have a very difficult time focusing in lower light. Others work great. Also, just because a camera does or does not have a focus assist lamp, doesn't necessarily reflect on it's ability to focus well.

I've seen cameras with focus assist lamps that worked poorly indoors, and I've seen cameras without focus assist lamps that work great indoors (like my new Konica Revio KD-510z -- it's the best camera I've owned for low light focus).

So, reviews can be important, to make sure a camera can live up to your expectations.

Another tip: check into a vendor's return policy. Some vendors don't allow returns. Others charge a high restocking fee (sometimes 15 or 20 percent). Some have restrictions (software cannot be opened, etc.).

But, if you buy from a vendor with a no restocking fee (some vendors have a full, money back "satisfaction guarantee" within a set time period), then you can return a camera if you decide that you don't like it, despite your best efforts at comparisons.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 5:52 PM   #8

Thanks Jim. I have bookmarked both of those sites and am still wading through daves site looking for the picky details section and getting sidetracked by lots of other pages of interest but will hopefully find that section eventually.

You make an interesting point that just reading about what a camera has to offer, doesn't really tell you how it performs. Such a shame that we can't find a review on the 6230.

I think thats a great idea to ponder, that if the store will allow a no hassel refund, then maybe we should think about taking one home to try. Hmm.

Much appreciated
Old Oct 21, 2003, 2:39 AM   #9

Hi Enigma

Did a quick price comparison on CNet:

4230: $120-200
6230: $170-200

As you don't mention the prices you either got a good 6230 deal on your hands or a bad 4230 deal

Also there is such a thing as price erosion (determined by many factors) so it is quite possible that a newer improved model is actually cheaper than an older model. On the other hand, not every newer model is an improvement over an older model (sometimes a manufacturer can cut production costs considerably at equal quality or a small loss).

Good luck.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote