Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1

The other day I was at a hockey game and I started taking video with my camera and suddenly I was told that I wasn't allowed to record some of the game because according to security, the game was copyrighted by the league.

Is this true? should I have contimued to record as much of the game as possible?
photo op is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about US event rules but JohnG has have a lot of sports experience over thereso can probably chip in, I will ping him a message.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3

Yes - in the US, most pro and div I college sporting events are copyrighted so they can control how the images / video is used and of course make a profit in doing so. You're not allowed to record. Most allow still photos but not recording.

As to whether you should have continued it depends on whether you like to break the law. Those venues are not public property they are allowed to make rules that ticket buyers must follow. But like any other law you are free to disregard it. Just be prepared for the consequences if you do.

One othere note - while you are often allowed to take photos you do NOT have freedom to do whatever you want with them. The players images are copyrighted so you are not allowed to use them for promotional or commercial use without consent (i.e. you can't take a shot of a player, make and sell posters). Editorial use - yes, but not commercial use.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks John, I knew you would have the answer.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:36 PM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Yes - in the US, most pro and div I college sporting events are copyrighted so they can control how the images / video is used and of course make a profit in doing so. You're not allowed to record. Most allow still photos but not recording.

As to whether you should have continued it depends on whether you like to break the law. Those venues are not public property they are allowed to make rules that ticket buyers must follow. But like any other law you are free to disregard it. Just be prepared for the consequences if you do.

One othere note - while you are often allowed to take photos you do NOT have freedom to do whatever you want with them. The players images are copyrighted so you are not allowed to use them for promotional or commercial use without consent (i.e. you can't take a shot of a player, make and sell posters). Editorial use - yes, but not commercial use.
Quote:
Thanks John. I live in canada but I assume the rules are the same. I was not recording parts of the game for monetary gain, just so I can watch what I recorded when I got home. I recorded about 7-10 minutes worth of one of the periods.
Quote:
The venues may not be public property but my tax dollars went towards paying for it.
Quote:
photo op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:49 PM   #6

If it's NHL then it doesn't matter - it's the same as US. Again, I'm not passing judgement - just saying video recording of the game is not allowed because "the game" is copyrighted. Just like going to a movie and recording the movie is illegal.

I hear what you're saying - but it's a lot easier to have a hard and fast rule rather than ask ushers to make judgement calls.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote